Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #1

A few questions

Forgive me if there are simple answers to these questions, but I'm new to the whole DIY car scene.

I've recently replaced a few bulbs in the tail lights and I noticed that the rear parking light on the passenger side won't turn on even with a good bulb installed. I'm talking about the light that comes on when you turn on your lights and pull the knob out all the way. Any ideas what I could do to fix that?

I'm experiencing minor slipping, only happens every once in awhile. Rest of the time it's smooth sailing. (Tiptronic 97 Boxster) Is there something I could do to fix this problem or should I just take it in for the service? Is this something I should be worried about becoming worse if I don't take care of it ASAP?

I'm hearing some squeeking when steering at low speeds ie. pulling into the driveway or parking. Any DIY solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #2

those aren't the parking lights, they are the rear fog light. Only the light on the driver's side of the vehicle is supposed to light up. If you were in Europe, the right side would light and the left would not.

Suspension sqeaks are normal - depends on how loud and feel, etc.

Slipping how? Wheels? Tranny?
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #3

Ah I see, that makes sense. The squeaking is pretty loud and annoying, and as for slipping , it's the tranny.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
Only the light on the driver's side of the vehicle is supposed to light up. If you were in Europe, the right side would light and the left would not.
You mean England?
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
You mean England?

He means the UK.

The standard is that the rear fog light be mounted on the centerline side of the car. This is to afford maximum visibility to the car following.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 PM   #6

Ok now I have a REAL problem with the tail/head lights. If I turn the lights on by one click (not sure what that setting is called) only the passenger side head light turns on. When I put them on all the way, both head lights come on, but the driver side taillight does not. With the key out, only the passenger side parking lights come on using the settings to the left of off.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #7

I guess I should have mentioned that I started removing the instrument cluster and then had to quickly take off somewhere. I understand the relay that controls the instrument cluster lights is also connected to the head lights in some way? Could I have accidently unplugged something?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #8

Come on guys, real problem here, thanks
Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #9

Now I have something leaking from underneath the front end, below where the wiper fluid is. I'm assuming it's that, but the tank is full.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Walker
Ok now I have a REAL problem with the tail/head lights. If I turn the lights on by one click (not sure what that setting is called) only the passenger side head light turns on. When I put them on all the way, both head lights come on, but the driver side taillight does not. With the key out, only the passenger side parking lights come on using the settings to the left of off.
Lets try to concentrate on one problem at a time.
That should make things easier to deal with.

Originally, before you started playing with the bulbs in the taillights, the red marker lights on both sides used to come on with the light switch turned to one click to the right, correct? And when you would turn it the second click to the right, both headlights would come on?

That is how it should behave, ideally.

If you then pull the light switch towards you one click, both the front fog/cornering lights should come on. If you pull it the last position out, the left rear tail light should then be brighter than the right rear tail light.

So if that's the way your car was behaving before, but no longer is since you changed bulbs in the tail lights, I would recommend that you pull the tail lights, and double check that the bulbs are in correctly, and that they don't have damaged filaments in them.

Don't bother switching the light switch to either of the left positions, as those are just for testing purposes, or for some obscure UK light requirements.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #11

Yep, my lights worked perfectly before hand. And I've already checked the bulbs and everything in the back to make sure they're running alright
Old 08-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Walker
Yep, my lights worked perfectly before hand. And I've already checked the bulbs and everything in the back to make sure they're running alright
Retrace your steps since it last worked properly. It sounds like something just got unplugged.