Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to BOX5TR
Unhappy Tail Light Issues... Please Help!

Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 986. Today I realized I had a brake light out on the drivers side within the rear tail light assembly. So, I took out that little piece of carpet in the rear trunk, pulled out the housing/assembly that holds all the tail light bulbs and replaced the brake light - tested it - and all was good.

Well... when I went put the housing assembly back in its place, I wasn't exactly Mr Smooth, I think I knocked into something... and then I noticed that now the brake light worked, but the other tail light bulbs didn't! Ugh.

So, I took out the other passenger side tail light assembly and switched bulbs just to see if I broke the bulbs. Nope, still didn't work. I fussed with it a while until I couldn't figure it out and put everything back in it's place. Now my brake lights all works fine but i have no tail lights on the driver's side of my Boxster. Anyone have any ideas here? or should I just get a new part - the housing assembly that all the bulbs plug into? And if I go that route... can anyone help? I can't find that part online anywhere... I can call around Monday.. but was hoping to find it online...

Thanks in advance!! :ah:

- greg

Last edited by BOX5TR; 07-26-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling
BOX5TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #2

Sounds like a short somewhere. Closely inspect the connectors, and the bulb carriers for any scratches, gaps, or things of that nature that would prevent a circuit from closing. Maybe even the fuses.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #3

I have the same problem.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #4

Look for someone

who deambered the tail lights in his 986 and who has the old parts around for sale. Unfortunately, I've sold both mine but there must be others out there with the electrical boards just sitting in the old lights in their garages.

But first I'd go through the fuses, connectors, and even the traces on the board to see if there is anything obviously wrong that can be fixed using the parts you have.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
who deambered the tail lights in his 986 and who has the old parts around for sale. Unfortunately, I've sold both mine but there must be others out there with the electrical boards just sitting in the old lights in their garages.

But first I'd go through the fuses, connectors, and even the traces on the board to see if there is anything obviously wrong that can be fixed using the parts you have.

I have a set of the electrical boards somewhere. Let me know if your interested.
walt2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to BOX5TR
after buying a new assembly housing and testing the bulbs....... it turned out to be as simple as a blown fuse... arg!

now i have a front headlight out. i switched the low-beam bulbs to make sure it wasn't the actual bulb... the bulb is fine... i tested the fuse... fuse is fine... the turn signal, foglight and high-beam work within the headlight... i have no idea what's going on now!
BOX5TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #7

It ended up being a blown fuse on mine too.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #8

Hi guys, do you know which fuse it is, i have the same issue with the driver's side rear taillight, side marker, and front side marker not working.

Thanks!

wilson1 is offline   Reply With Quote