Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #1

Suggestion for 19" wheels

I have a 986 and planning on upgrading to 19" wheels and have a few questions:

1. Any good reliable online shops that doesn't cost an arm and leg for wheels (besides tire rack)? I don't mind replicas. I really don't want to spend 2-4K just for rims. Also, how much performance-wise does (based on weight of the rims) it make on car driving?

2. I'm assuming I will need offset and fitment for these as well right?

3. Once installed, will I notice any rubs and/or misalignment issues with the 19" wheels (currently I have 18") ? I don't track my car, just daily driving to work and stuff.

Thanks!

kluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluver
I have a 986 and planning on upgrading to 19" wheels and have a few questions:

1. Any good reliable online shops that doesn't cost an arm and leg for wheels (besides tire rack)? I don't mind replicas. I really don't want to spend 2-4K just for rims. Also, how much performance-wise does (based on weight of the rims) it make on car driving?

2. I'm assuming I will need offset and fitment for these as well right?

3. Once installed, will I notice any rubs and/or misalignment issues with the 19" wheels (currently I have 18") ? I don't track my car, just daily driving to work and stuff.

Thanks!
www.wheelenhancement.com is THE best Porsche wheel & tire store I know of & tire Rack is good. In my opinion 19" is for looks only, ride quality & handling will degrade. Going from oem 17" to oem 18" my car is noticeably less nimble & wheel weight is very important, thats why I use the 03-04 18" carrera II wheels. Looking for a spare set for track tires too. If you do go with 19's you will need an alignment but stay with stock tire sizes & avoid rubbing issues
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #3

Wheel Enhancements is just about the most expensive online retailer of wheels for our cars that I've found.

I bought my aftermarket 18 inch carrera lights from these guys... excellent Italian workmanship, and they have the correct offsets for Boxsters...

http://www.wheeldynamics.net/

They sold me Michelin PS2's with the rims for a decent price.

BTW, reconsider buying 19's. They can be heavy, and the rubber choices are far and few between in the speed rating we need on our cars. Then there's the price of rubber. Yikes!

But it's your money and your car. Enjoy whatever you choose.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies. I checked both sites out and think that Wheel Dynamics seems a bit more reasonable. Besides these two sites, any other sites available? I don't necessary need a "Porsche" geared site but just a site that sells nice looking decently priced rims for my 986. Thanks again!
kluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #5

I know you are looking for resources other than Tire Rack. I did a lot of reserach on "reasonably" priced good 19" rims, but to no avail. Th best I could find were the Moda MD1 at Tire Rack - with no modification or spacers. Here's a link to the thread with pictures: Moda MD1 Thread

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13902

Good luck!
chaabouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #6

Garage
Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluver
Thanks for the quick replies. I checked both sites out and think that Wheel Dynamics seems a bit more reasonable. Besides these two sites, any other sites available? I don't necessary need a "Porsche" geared site but just a site that sells nice looking decently priced rims for my 986. Thanks again!
I have a set of Sportec Mono 10's for sale on the forum. Please check them out in the classifieds section.

Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote