Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #1

DEPO LED Tail Lights installed

I ordered these tails off e-bay and they look great. But somethings not right. I search here for the answer but couldn't find anything on this specific problem. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Here's the problem
There are 2 sections of brake light led's on each tail light. When I hit the brakes only the inner led's on each tail light light up. I can't get the out portions to illuminate. Everything else works fine.
I noticed when I installed the bulb assy holder from my old lights into the new ones that I had to remove the outer most bulb because it isn't needed (won't fit because there's no hole for it to go through) on the new lights. Are these little bulbs keeping it from conducting a complete circut or something?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Last edited by Couper1; 06-27-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #2

take some pictures of the tail lights. I was thinking about getting some but only if they are of supreme quality.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #3

Is Depo the name of the manufacturer? My friend pulled these out of his car and gave them to me. They are made by Ultra, look anything like these?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Is Depo the name of the manufacturer? My friend pulled these out of his car and gave them to me. They are made by Ultra, look anything like these?

Ughh! no, I don't like those at all. those are the euro style. No offense, they just don't look right to me on the car, to much going on IMO. looking for closer to stock, just with the LEDs.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #5

Turn on your rear fog lights (only one side will light up) and see if that makes the outer portion of the LEDs light up. It's been a while since I installed my Depo LED tail lights, but I remember that a large portion of the LEDs were setup for the rear fog light and I didn't feel that enough were dedicated just for braking. My solution... I ran a jumper wire in the wiring harness that feeds the lights between the brake light and the fog light. Now my fog lights (red LEDs) also come on with the brake lights. IMHO this is how they should have been wired in the first place, but the manufacturer wanted you to keep that rear fog light (I NEVER use it though). No problem though as it's an easy fix.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Turn on your rear fog lights (only one side will light up) and see if that makes the outer portion of the LEDs light up. It's been a while since I installed my Depo LED tail lights, but I remember that a large portion of the LEDs were setup for the rear fog light and I didn't feel that enough were dedicated just for braking. My solution... I ran a jumper wire in the wiring harness that feeds the lights between the brake light and the fog light. Now my fog lights (red LEDs) also come on with the brake lights. IMHO this is how they should have been wired in the first place, but the manufacturer wanted you to keep that rear fog light (I NEVER use it though). No problem though as it's an easy fix.

Kirk
is that exhaust on your car custom made? that looks crazy sic. nice
Old 06-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3_Boxster_S
is that exhaust on your car custom made? that looks crazy sic. nice
Thanks man. No my exhaust is not custom. The exhaust, rear bumper, and side skirts are all part of a Gemballa kit.

http://www.gemballausa.com/986boxster_aero.asp

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #8

Kirk,
Thank you! That's the answer I was looking for. And you're right, it is a bad design as both section of brake lights should be lit. At least I now there's nothing wrong with the Depo lights. Thanks again for your input.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Thanks man. No my exhaust is not custom. The exhaust, rear bumper, and side skirts are all part of a Gemballa kit.

http://www.gemballausa.com/986boxster_aero.asp

Kirk
OH! damn man. wish you didn't show me that site. I'm gonna go broke now!

havent seen that site before. I am a new Boxster owner. (last march) looks like expensive stuff.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #10

Depo LED Rear Lights, Jumper wire from Brake Light wire to Fog Light Wire

Hi Kirk,
Thanks so much on your write up on the Depo LED rear lights.
Do you now have extra LED lights on both sides due to your jumper wire from the brake light wire to the fog light wire.
Does this work for both side because I thought only the driver's side rear fog is designed to be on.
So, do you run a jumper wire on the existing car wire harness on both left and right sides?
Or, do you run a jumper wire in the new Depo light housing.
Question:
Is your jumper wire installed on the existing car wiring or is your jumper installed on the new Depo lights.
As evidenced by the number of the questions on all the Boxster forums, there are alot of us Boxster owners that can benefit greatly from your well thought out remedy.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us all.
986NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
JNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
My solution... I ran a jumper wire in the wiring harness that feeds the lights between the brake light and the fog light. Now my fog lights (red LEDs) also come on with the brake lights.

Kirk
Kirk, I did the same as you above with my Boxster DEPO LEDs, and both the brake LEDs light and the LED fog lights came on first time I braked (ie worked as planned). Since then, only the brake LED lights work when I brake. I checked the fog LEDs via lil rewiring, to make sure they still work, and they do, but not together with my brake light. My son suggested maybe a voltage or amperage issue for both to turn on together powered by only 1 socket (brake socket). If so, think anything internal blew since first try?

This is the second set of DEPOs I've had....With my first set, all 4 LED sets on both tail lights worked for a while when I braked, then the fog light on the passenger side stopped working with the brake light (driver's side tail powered both brake & fog LEDs).

Any suggestions? Thx in advance! I believe these sets to be made with cheap electronics but they do look nice when you can get all 4 sets of LEDs work when braking.

Last edited by JNC; 04-01-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo
JNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #12

Check out my DIY on how to make the "fog lights" on the Depo lights into the rear turn signals...I just put it up today

Anti-Bling, Porsche 986 DIY's
anti-bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
JNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post

Kirk
Kirk, I've tried this as well but only the small inner brake light still works when both are wired together. If I disconnect the brake light and leave the foglight wired, then it (fog LEDs) works. The only way both do come on together is when, with the brake depressed and both LEDs disconnected, when I initially reconnect both LEDs with power going to them. If I then release the brake pedal, then re-depress it, I'm back to only the small inner brake light working even though the fog LED is still connected with power still on it. What could this mean? Thx in advance...I really want the brake and fog LEDs work together when braking.
JNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #14

Garage
Hyper Blink

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-bling View Post
Check out my DIY on how to make the "fog lights" on the Depo lights into the rear turn signals...I just put it up today

Anti-Bling, Porsche 986 DIY's
I followed anti-bling's DIY blog post regarding turning the fog light LEDs into turn signals. The blog says to wire both resistor wires to the RED wire. When I do I get a turn signal but with "hyper blink". I've researched online and everything I find says one resistor wire should go to the RED and the other to GROUND or BLACK. Before I re-wire, I wanted to get your thoughts out there. Wiring is not my most skilled area. Thanks!
crogers106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #15

Garage
I figured out the answer on my own. Anyone doing this mod - one resistor wire tapped to red wire, one resistor wire to black wire. No more hyper-blink....
crogers106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I can understand peoples' expectation for all the red lights to be lit upon pressing the brakes...but if you look at how the cars worked from the factory (though I'm basing my observation on my 986, I'm pretty sure it stayed this way), that's exactly how the stock ones operated. Only the inner light section illuminates for brake lights.

I think where people get misled is by Depo's advertising images showing both the brake and fog lights illuminated.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #17

Installed the Depo tail lights last week, I've read this thread; however, a bit confused as to what should light up on which side. A portion of the left tail light illuminates that doesn't on the right tail light (provided pic). Is this correct?
Montducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #18

Garage
Yes, this is normal, that is the "fog" light. Here is one DIY to make it a turn signal.
Anti-Bling Porsche Boxster DIY's: Boxster, Depot brand tail lights, make turn signal LED

What I did is connect the fog light to the brake lights on the left side and then ran a wire to the right side, so now both LED's come on for the brakes.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Yes, this is normal, that is the "fog" light. Here is one DIY to make it a turn signal.
Anti-Bling Porsche Boxster DIY's: Boxster, Depot brand tail lights, make turn signal LED

What I did is connect the fog light to the brake lights on the left side and then ran a wire to the right side, so now both LED's come on for the brakes.
Great, thanks for the clarification, I feel better
I may do your rewire mod when I have some extra time.
Montducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #20

Garage
With the LED's, at first the outside (fog) lights don't always come on with the first press of the brake pedal but they always do with the second. I probably need to add a resistor to the wire as described in the DIY I linked in the previous post.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote