Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2002, 05:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Reprogramming Boxster Keys?

Both my keys lost their programming...is there any way to reprogram them myself or do i REALLY have to take it to the dealership?

I know on my BMW all i had to do was press the lock button 5 times and it would re-acquire the codes. Maybe porsche has somethign similar? Owner's manual says nothing.

THanks...

Xavas

Xavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:53 AM   #2

Something does not sound right. Do you mean the remote alarm/lock/trunk keys? Will the keys start the car? Have you replaced the battery in the key head - if you have the remote key head.

If you have a remote key and push the buttons about 250 times while you are not near the car the key will not work, but you can correct it so that it will work, but I doubt that is your problem.

Sounds like a trip to the dealer. They program keys with the PST2 computer and need to get a key learning code from Porsche in Atlanta. Also bring the paper tag with the 24 digit code.

Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 11:16 AM   #3

How do define "lost their programming?" I have found if one of my keys stays out of the ignition for a couple of weeks, the battery goes dead. To fix the problem, I just put it in the ignition, start the car, and drive it for a few hours. The key's battery recharges, and volia -- it now activates the alarm and works remotely.
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:31 PM   #4

Interesting re: the "recharge" idea, sounds pretty sophisticated (and therefore, totally Porsche!?!).

I've not had any trouble with my keys, but they're still young yet at ~1 year. The only issue I've run into is what they tell you in the manual - if you don't start the car for several days, then you need to physically put the key in the lock to open the car. Then you're OK for remote use until the next battery saver timeout.

Now, if only I could aim the key a little better in the dark... and avoid those annoying little door keyhole scratches!

donv is offline   Reply With Quote