Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #1

Windshield header nut spinning

Not the best description but...
When reinstalling the driver's side sun visor one of the nuts that are pressed in to the header came loose and now one screw is partially screwed in.
I found a page on Mike Focke's website that describes how to replace the brass nuts with nutserts but I need to remove the screw first. I tried prying the screw to put pressure on the nut to hold it enough to back the screw out but that didn't work.
Thought about drilling a hole in the header so I could use something to hold the loose nut but figured I'd post here and tap the vast knowledge of this forum.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
mike

derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:46 AM   #2

That is my DIY so kindly hosted by Mike Focke.

Sorry to hear of your troubles as obviously I've been there. There's no easy way to get the retaining nut out unless you have the windshield removed. It has quite a large flange on it (see picture in DIY of item after removal in the Background section)...

You could drill it out in pieces but be EXCEPTIONALLY careful to protect your interior from the metal shavings. Instead, I would remove the visor completely then reinstert the screw and over tighten further (w/ hopes of) completely splitting the retainer into small pieces. Then fish out the pieces using a small screwdriver and needle nose pliers, etc. I gave some tips in the write w/ pictures (use the download pdf version in this thread as the pictures and comments are more extensive than the web page.

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 05-20-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #3

Hey Burg,
Great write up on the DIY. I've read it before but couldn't remember where I saw it until I Googled 'porsche windshield header nuts'. Couldn't find it here for some reason.
My problem is I can't remove the visor because the brass nut didn't split, it just popped out into the header (fully engaged on the bolt threads) as I was screwing the bolt in. The other one is fine and the visor looks ok if you don't notice the other screw hanging down slightly.
From your DIY it appears your Boxster is Arena Red. My Boxster is also Arena Red- maybe the color is the problem.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb
maybe the color is the problem.

Absolutely It's usually the arrows not the Indian

I'm not sure I completely understand what happened in your instance. Can you not get the visor off right now? Have you tried applying some pressure on the screw (i.e pulling/prying down on it) while trying to loosen? Getting the visor off at this point is going to be the key as to how to proceed best. A picture might help too.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #5

Burg,
Correct- can't get the visor off. Tried prying down to put some pressure on the nut but it won't hold.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #6

Can you get the other screw out w/o problems? If so, you should be able to sneak something up in the second hole and wedge it against the spinning retainer (small screwdriver, etc.) to create a wedge to hold the nut while you loosen the screw.

Seems odd the barrel of the retaining nut split from the base...

To help you "see" the design of the piece:

This is what mine looked like peering up thru the hole (see all the vert cracks):

if you were to remove the windsheild, top down view:

underside view if header was transparent.

Excuse the crudeness but a side profile view would be this:

__TT__

Try and get the second one out and see if you can wedge something up there to keep the barrel from spinning. Shouldn't be too hard as I recall as it's a well machined thread.

Good luck
Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #7

This might work .I had to something similiar .Cut head off bolt with dremel cut off disc -or if no acess grind it off .Second person with vacum is a big help .
File end of bolt to enable threading nut on .Use socket as a spacer between nut and header .Tighten nut until brass fitting snaps-and it will .
Travel at your own risk -but it worked for me .
Dave
dcdrechsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #8

dcdrechsel,
The only problem with cutting it off is I have very little room to get a cutting wheel in there. Worse case I scratch up the visor and have to replace it.
If I can get in there to cut it I have to find a way to keep the nut/screw from falling into the header. Might be able to retrieve it with a magnet from the larger hole close to it- too small to reach with finger.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #9

Gravity works to your favor .The bolt is facing down .Understand the cutoff disc issue .Tedious , but grinding stones will get the job done

dcdrechsel is offline   Reply With Quote