Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #1

Check Engine light on

Went to get pizza last night and the "check engine"light went on. This the first time for me being a newbie boxster driver. Bentley's book has all the codes but what do you recommend for the tester?

ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:15 AM   #2

Personally, I like the Actron 9125 $60 and it's small enough that you can keep it in the car.

This way, if you get a light, you know if it's safe to try and drive the car (how did you know it was safe to drive yours?).

Not as many bells and whistles as some others, or the durametric software, but it does the job well for a reasonable price.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #3

Ididn't know it was safe

Thanks for the info. I didn't know it was safe but the Bentley book says it would be put in a "limp home mode" so I took a chance. Nothing unusual has happened to the car since I bought it 3weeks ago.

We had a Honda Accord that went months with the engine check on until my wife had a convenient time to take it in.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #4

I have that Actron model suggested below. Use it all the time (sadly). Just don't use the CD to find out what the codes are- use the Bentley Manual or Renntech.org.

Report back here and I'm sure you will find the help you need.

Regards,
mike
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #5

If you ever come near Sanford

I'll read the codes for you.

Some cars use the CEL to tell you to take it in for service. 986 Porsche's don't do that but do differentiate between serious "blinking" CELs and solid less serious CELs. Blink you stop immediately and get flatbedded. Solid you get read and then figure out an approach based on what the codes say.

Many auto parts stores will loan you a reader for a few minutes use in their parking lot. The connection is just over your left knee under the dash. Key off and out, insert reader into port, turn key on, read codes.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #6

OK I got the Actron tool recommended

I got the Actron tool recommended from Amazon today. It indicated 3 codes without starting the engine. I did not write them down, but they did not seem important so I erased them and also erased the engine check light on.

I understood that if a problem persists the light will come on again. If that happens, I'll let you know.