Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #1

Miss fire low revs

Hi all, my car has just develpoed a miss fire on tick over and up to 1500 rpm. It still goes well but it sound like its firing on only 5 cylinders.

Last week the oil seperator was changed and the small valve behind the passanger seat (on engine block).

This firing on 5 cylinders happened before some 2 years ago when i first bought the car. A single plug was changed. Car only does 5k per year, should plugs go that quick, is it linked to the oil seperator. Any ideas guys.

Thanks

Megan

meganfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #2

I wonder if it's the same plug misfiring two years later. Perhaps the coil pack the plug attaches to is intermittent. It might be worth the time to switch the coil pack on the bad plug with that from another cylinder to see if the misfire then transfers along with it. I think an OBDII check would point out the bad cylinder.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #3

You might have a bad plug from oil ingested into the engine from the bad AOS. If that is the case, the changing the plugs should fix it.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Engine Surgeon

Sounds like a coil pack is malfunctioning, especially if the issue is worse under load when intermittent.

These coil packs fail fairly often, most of them with over 30K on them have cracks in them..
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:52 AM   #5

Thanks guys, I will start with plugs, it's about time they were changed. Then I guess its the coil pack / and or leads.

Thanks

Megan
meganfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #6

I'm surprised it didn't atleast flash the cel light. Have a hard look at the coil packs.
If you can catch a Cel light and read the code it will tell you which cylinder to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfreeman
Thanks guys, I will start with plugs, it's about time they were changed. Then I guess its the coil pack / and or leads.

Thanks

Megan

Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote