Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #1

Dyno results-headers, intake, bypass pipes

Happy friday,
I was suposed to do this a long time ago but better late than never.....

2002 Boxster S
Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats
Fabspeed bypass pipes
CHI muffler
EVO intake
Premium pump gas

DynoJet
72.96 F
29.68 inches Hg
46% humidity

Max power 237.74
Max torque 207.61

Assume 15% loss from power train: 279.69 BHP, 244.24 Ft Lbs torque
factory standard 250 BHP, 226 Ft Lbs

Gain of 29.69 HP, 18.24 Ft Lbs of torque :dance:

The next step is the 24hr test reprograming, I will then pull dynos and see if it is worth 900$.

Scan of graph to follow.

James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 04-18-2009 at 05:05 AM.
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #2

Are you testing the softronic?

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #3

What about the place that dyno'd the car? They can't do a tune? Sounds like you made a pretty healthy gain for bolt ons.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #4

When driving, can you feel the gain of 29.69 HP? Seems like a lot of gain.

Fabspeed bypass pipes - Claim +8HP gain
EVO intake - Claim +7HP gain

This leaves about 14HP...where would you say that gain came from?

Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats - ?
CHI muffler?

PS...what exactly is this Chi Muffler mod?

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #5

I was thinking of doing the REVO. Only because they will load the software on the car and let you drive it for 500 miles prior to making you pay. I will install it and go directly to the dyno for a series of pulls. If I dont get 15 HP then I dont want it.

I called various other software companies and ask that the GUARANTY the projected gains. None of them would do it. I cant pay 1000 for something that will not work.

The 30 HP that I have already gained cost 1500$ so far.

Yes I can feel the HP gains. My butt dyno was not wrong. It pulls much harder and spins up faster.
The CHI muffler is a China knock of an aftermarket muffler. A man named CHI sells it from Dallas. Cheap and effective, no drone that I can tell.

The HP gains I think are mostly from the headers. The butt dyno noticed HP improvements but after the headers, WOW, could I tell a difference. Best of all, No CEL, ever.

The Dyno shop can mess with the software, but they dont work on porsches from what I caould tell. They could not find the motor on the Boxster to hook up the TAC wires. They are a 70's muscle car type of place. They offered to do it for 100$, I still need to think about it.

James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 04-17-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crios
When driving, can you feel the gain of 29.69 HP? Seems like a lot of gain.
Fabspeed bypass pipes - Claim +8HP gain
EVO intake - Claim +7HP gain
This leaves about 14HP...where would you say that gain came from?
Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats - ?
CHI muffler?
PS...what exactly is this Chi Muffler mod?
The headers are what gave him the biggest gain. The stock exhaust manifolds pretty much suck.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #7

questions:

on a 2.7L - would headers make much of a gain?

are the cheapo chinese headers any good or b/c they lack cats do they suck?

what about the maxspeed setup that have the hi flow cats built into them? i have fantasized about just buying that whole setup -0 it's like $2000 - but i bet it woudl sound AWESOME and if I picked up 15hp or so - all the better. i only have 217 stock on my 2000 - but on such a light car - that much gain would be definitely felt.

or i can just sell my boxster and put that 2000 dollars toward a NEWER car with a 3.2L!!!!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #8

23109VC, this is what I would do...

Buy the Max speed headers ONLY if you have CATS on the headers as the standard setup.

The cheap China knock offs will give you a CEL and a huge headache if you have CATS in the headers.
Also I have read the the china headers can set fire to your car because the are NOT ceramic coated and get red hot, and they get real close to the Power stering lines. then bam, no more car.
So wire the hose away, wrap the headers, and that is the best you can do.

Or just pay the 600$ for the maxspeed,
Then, go to a muffler shop that you trust and ask them to build you a cat delete pipe, maybe 100$ in cost, the problem is that it illegal for them to do this because it deletes the CATS and Obama gets mad at that. I suppose you could just take off the pipes and have them fab one from that.
Then get a drill and drill out the muffler like a previous post. The muffler DID NOT add any HP, or it was so small I could not tell. The advantage is the sound and the loss of about 40 LBS.

so you could have a safe and effective set up for 7-800$
The intake added a few noticable HP but what a pain in the rear to install. Never will I do that again.

James
Old 04-18-2009, 05:12 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

Did you have a wideband hooked up when you did the dyno run? It would be good to see where your afr is to make sure that power you're making is safe.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:23 AM   #10

Air fuel was a little rich actually. I attached the printout.

To those who know this kind of thing,
Why did I loose HP and Torque in the middle, The dyno guy said that it was because it was running rich and told me to replace the 02 sensors, and that might help.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
Air fuel was a little rich actually. I attached the printout.

To those who know this kind of thing,
Why did I loose HP and Torque in the middle, The dyno guy said that it was because it was running rich and told me to replace the 02 sensors, and that might help.
Can you rescan that so the scale shows?

If I were to venture a guess at your AFR plot, I'd say that either the stock map gets rich at high RPM/load for longevity (which is likely) or the exhaust mods have altered VE enough that the DME isn't metering correctly anymore. Either way, the car should be tuned if you want to really make the most power.

Oxygen sensors are only used at low loads and under steady state. They won't effect the AFR at WOT.

The dip in torque looks like the change-over point for the varioram system to me. It looks alot like 944boy's dyno run.

http://986forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9781

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-18-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #12

as requested
Old 04-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
as requested
I was assuming the dotted line was 12.5:1, now that we see the scale, you can see that it's running just about right. 12.5-13.0:1 is the ratio you want and that's about what you've got. It does dip a little rich, but it's really looking pretty good.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:30 AM   #14

I would want a much smoother afr curve. The fluctuations between 12 and 13 while WOT reflect a less than optimal tune. The attached log is from a friend's carburated turbo engine. Note the flat as a board afr throughout the pull, and this is on a street driven vehicle with excellent manners. I'd suggest a retune.
whiteghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #15

Any updates on the Revo flash?
turbobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #16

I was going to dallas this weekend to do the flash, but very bad weather has rolled into Texas and I put it off for this weekend as I need to drive to drive 4 hrs to get there. So the plan is next saturday.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #17
Engine Surgeon

The dip in torque and HP at 5,200 RPM is consistent with every M96 engine we test with F1 Vario Cam.. The only way to get rid of it is to eliminate the vario cam and change the intake cam, something I have been working on for 3 months now and just got finished Friday :-)

Now we make as much power at every RPM as we did with vario cam, without the constant changing over on and off throttle and the shock loads that presents to the IMS bearing.

Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote