Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #1

Fabspeed exhaust (or any secondary bypass pipes)

I've been researching this site for aftermarket exhaust for my '02 S, and have narrowed it down to the PSE mod (Fister or DIY), or the new Fabspeed 2 chamber with seconday cat bypass built in (to avoid drone).
Are there any California owners here that have the new Fabspeed, or are using secondary cat bypass pipes, that are getting away with it at smog time???? I' sure the car will still pass the limits, but what about the "visual"?

TIA, Roger
2002 lapis blue S

navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #2

You're kidding me...47 views, and no one has ever dealt with secondary bypass pipes and smog ?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #3

LOL, just try it, have nothing to lose....just don't take to the dealer....or a place that smogs Porsche....everyone else won't even know where to look and what looks odd.

For CA, the SMOG is every other year, so install right after you SMOG and you won't have to think about it for another 2 years.

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #4

I've not modified my exhaust system so I can't speak to passing smog with an altered system. But...I've passed smog twice so far with my 2000 boxster without having the exhaust inspected. They did require that they inspect the top of the engine before they'd let it pass. (Rose automotive, El Cajon). I went with a friend to have his 07 Caymen smogged...Rose couldn't do it because they don't have the upgraded testing equipment needed to look at the newer cars. We ended up on Miramar Road where the local dealer has their smog performed. No visual inspection of the exhaust there either.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #5

The fabspeed exhaust is CA smog legal. I don't see if it pass the test it would fail visually?

It doesn't matter what exhaust you have as long as your cats are intact, you have 2 sets (4 total) so it wouldn't matter if you lose a set.

Unless there are laws in CA about the noise level of the exhaust but I guess that has nothing to do with smog.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by navair
I've been researching this site for aftermarket exhaust for my '02 S, and have narrowed it down to the PSE mod (Fister or DIY), or the new Fabspeed 2 chamber with seconday cat bypass built in (to avoid drone).
Are there any California owners here that have the new Fabspeed, or are using secondary cat bypass pipes, that are getting away with it at smog time???? I' sure the car will still pass the limits, but what about the "visual"?

TIA, Roger
2002 lapis blue S
Here's my guess. I think many smog places think the secondary cats are the primary cats and pass cars based on seeing those. The primary cats are hard to see if the car isn't on a lift and/or you are not familiar with the car.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments guys! I talked to Fabspeed, and did some more research into Kalifornia's arcane smog laws (and ooh what fun that is)..Fab says their system is Ca legal, but they do delete the aft cats, so technically it's not. They say the aft cats are not in the OBD-II loop (true), but to be truly CA legal they'd have a CARB cert, which they dont. As you pointed out, the reality is any drive thru smog station wouldn't know what to look for, and (as Fabspeed insists), the exhaust would pass the sniff test regardless. a crap shoot really, or reinstall stock muffler every 2 years...
Old 04-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #8

Well you do live in commiefornia...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #9

Sorry to go off topic, but has anyone tried THIS EXHAUST which the seller claims 'no Cabin Drone, unlike most aftermarket Mufflers for the Boxster the NHP Exhaust Muffler for the Boxster eliminates Cabin Drone.'

Looking at the design of this particular muffler its very similar to most other ebay mufflers for the Boxster and apparently ALL of them do DRONE.
panameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #10

I looked at that- another Chinese (not that they can't weld) exhaust, identical to the Deluboz "Topspeed" sold on Ebay, for $300 more

I'd get a Topspeed. I suspect on reason the Fabspeed doesn't drone as much is the connecting balance pipe left/right