Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Porsche_Baller
Exclamation Changing my oil for the first time!!! HELP

I just got my 99 boxter and need some help figuring out how to change the oil myself. I had figured it would be different from other cars. Could someone walk me through it and some diagrams would be GREAT!

Porsche_Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 AM   #2

Try this . ..

Oh and be ready once you take that plug out because the oil really comes out fast, like Niagra Falls after a two inch rain.

http://theschillings.com/boxoilchange.htm

There are tons of other threads on this forum about jacking and oil changing
Old 03-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
I supply the oil, filter and crush ring and my local Econolube does it for me for $20. I have them add 8.5 quarts and I top it off over the next few days.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #4

It's really not much different than most cars with maybe the exception that it uses the reusable cannister, instead of a spin on style metal filter. even then, you need only be concerned with putting a new o-ring on, which should come with your new filter. also, forget the special porsche filter wrench; autozone has one that works just fine.

Add'l tips:
1) it would be a very good idea to have a new drain plug on hand, particularly if PO used a quick oil change place. These places tend to over-torque the hell out of the plug without concern about who may have to remove it next! The drain plug is suprisingly light and doesn't feel very durable. Mine began to strip as I removed it, but I was fortunately able to get it off. I bought a new one to replace it.

2) watch for overfilling. After about the 7th quart, I began pulling the dipstick to make sure there was no overfill.

3) I used a torque wrench on the drain plug and filter cannister, just for peace of mind. could probably just do it by feel, like I do on other cars.
in any event, the end result was no leaks.

4) I let the oil drain for at least an hour to make sure all the old stuff came out.

it's not hard at all. good luck.

-jimmy
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjanari
3) I used a torque wrench on the drain plug and filter cannister,

4) I let the oil drain for at least an hour to make sure all the old stuff came out.
-jimmy
The canister is plastic so torque wrench is a good idea. 19 lb/ft.

Drain plug is 37 lb/ft.

The amount of oil that drains after you think it is done amazed me. As it trickled out a drop at time I put a beer can underneath to collect the dregs. As you might guess that can had overflowed overnite by a lot. Cat litter to the rescue!
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #6

These guys are right-on about the torque limits. Lying on my back, with arms outstretched with a torque wrench in hand I could not feel the little "click" my wrench gave me, and landed up overtightening the canisters substantiallly. That torque limit is almost nothing to achieve with a wrench over a foot long.

When I realized this I decided to loosen it and re-torque. I learned that it's a lot harder to loosen plastic on aluminum than tighten it!!! You would not believe the hell that I went through loosening that thing. The cup wrench would slip and I actually had to wrap the canister with duct tape and tap the cup wrench onto it. When it finally loosened, I then had to hacksaw the cup wrench to take it off the canister. This sounds impossible, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but it happens easier than you'd think. I was geting prepared to drill ahole through the canister in order get leverage on it.

All is well after reinstalling it to the correct torque.