Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #1

3.2 question

so i have a 98 2.5 boxster i was wonder alot of people are doing the 3.2 and 3.4 swap. can i use just the short block of a 3.2 and use the rest of my 2.5 heads and stuff? i know with like some small blocks they do that so just wonder... guy on Creigslist is sellin a short block.....

asalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Engine Surgeon

No, the 2.5 heads are not interchangable with the 3.2.. The bore difference is huge!

The 2.5 is basically its own engine, the 3.2 and 3.4 have interchangeable components.

Build that 2.5 into our 2.9 and then use the 2.5 heads-
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
No, the 2.5 heads are not interchangable with the 3.2.. The bore difference is huge!

The 2.5 is basically its own engine, the 3.2 and 3.4 have interchangeable components.

Build that 2.5 into our 2.9 and then use the 2.5 heads-

i thought the boxster engines were aluminum so they couldnt be bored out. if they can be what are the specs on the 2.9 and were do i get the internals for it?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
i thought the boxster engines were aluminum so they couldnt be bored out. if they can be what are the specs on the 2.9 and were do i get the internals for it?
With our process the original cylinders are partially removed and replaced with billet aluminum replacements with a proprietary procedure perfec ted as a joint venture between my company and LN ENgineering.

We have all the components for the 2.9 available as a component kit, or individual pieces.

I am assembling a 2.9 tonight!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #5

Question for Jake

Jake,
So what is your recommendation for bullet proofing the 3.2 and what are some cost ranges? I'm assuming that you fix the IMS issue but what else is there to address on the 3.2? You're on the east cost, right?

Thanks,
-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
With our process the original cylinders are partially removed and replaced with billet aluminum replacements with a proprietary procedure perfec ted as a joint venture between my company and LN ENgineering.

We have all the components for the 2.9 available as a component kit, or individual pieces.

I am assembling a 2.9 tonight!

so what is the rate for a 2.9 upgrade? how much whp and tq am i looking at? would it be turbo/supercharge freindly?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
Engine Surgeon

We are at 55% completion on the current latest and greatest 2.9 engine, this one started life as a 2.5
We'll have dyno numbers from this one at the end of the week if assembly goes well tomorrow and Tuesday. we hope this combination makes equal power to that of Porsche's new 2.9 direct injection engine... Thats the goal!
This 2.9 is VERY difficult to assemble, it has taken 3 days to get the shortblock completed, but that included notation of directives, measurements and tool modifications.

Yes, I do have Turbo and Supercharger specific versions of the 2.9 liter.