Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #1

V1 detector install

What's the best way to install a V1 radar detector into the wiring of a 987 (without the curly phone cord thing)?

Joe

Old 03-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #2

What I used for my install

Hey TorpedoZone,

http://industryfigure.com/berkeley/Porsche/Accessories/valentine.htm

This is the site I followed to hard-wire my V1 in my '98 986 (...sorry not a 987) It has very nice step by step images.

I did not run my cord all the way around the outside of the car as shown; I simply ran the cord up along the drivers side of the center console, tucking it under the cluster gauges, allowing enough left over to connect to the V1 when mounted on the windshield (not too low, but high enough to be able to pick up signals from behind).

When / if I unplug V1 the wire wraps nicely around the top side of the gauges, keeping it almost out of site. Also , my concealed display is attached to the center console as shown in the examples, which makes it very easy to mute with out getting in the way of the steering wheel, or much arm movement if my hand is already on the shift knob. I"ll try to get some pictures up later this weekend.

You may need to check the wiring colors in the middle console (or other area you select for the power) to make sure that you are connecting to the right one. I found it easier to be on the passengers side when connecting the harness to the unused 'cell phone' power supply in the center console.

Hope this helps.
Peter

Last edited by pschaub; 03-13-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: content correction / typos...
pschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #3

Thanks, that really helps me out. I feel a little exposed driving around with no V1 to protect me from myself.

Joe
Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #4

All the locations those guys used for the remote display are goofy looking if you ask me. Why didn't any of them choose the portion of the dashboard between the right side of the cluster and the A-piller on the driver's side mirror? That would seem to be an excellent place to put the remote and easy to reach for the mute switch.

I wish someone would figure out how to take an instrument cluster apart and mod it to integrate the arrows right into the tach. Now that would be cool.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote