Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2005, 07:17 PM   #1

9ff formula racing hub instructions...

Hey guys....one or two of you were interested in how this system works...I scanned the pictures and thought I would share them....This is the wheel....

And these are the instructions for installation.....

My front wheels are 225/40/18 and 9" wide, back are 275/35/18 and are 10' wide...
For those who dont already know the wheels are ATS and the kit is made by 9ff for the hub system
The red center pin is missing from the photo I posted....
And the final look is....

Last edited by jfmillr; 01-31-2005 at 07:22 PM.
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:22 PM   #2

I really like the looks. Changing tires should be really easy (less nuts). Maybe too easy (thieves). Is there a special tool to take off those locking plates?

spgribben
spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:53 PM   #3

yes it appears/looks like it would be easier, but its really not. The center nut socket is 36mm large and not very common. Also the nut has 400Nm or 260 lbs of torque pressure on the center nut. Most torque wrenches dont work at that pressure and access to a socket like such it is very tough to get and tough to get off. Fortunatly I have a good wrench and socket for it incase I have any trouble myself. If you look at the instructions there is also a screw which squeezes the thread of the center nut to give it additional grip and prevent it from slipping at all. The greatest benefit to having these wheels, other then the looks of it, is that each wheel is 8 lbs lighter then the stock wheels. It actually feels faster off the line as a result. I took off a total of 32 lbs of wheel weight off my 986 !!!

Last edited by jfmillr; 02-01-2005 at 02:16 PM.
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote