Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #1

245-35 18 Anyone ever put these on the fronts?

I'm going to be putting tires on the new rims soon and would like to go as wide as possible on the fronts to compliment the 285-30's I'm planning for the rears. The wheels are 8.5" et50mm and I am installing H&R sport springs with the intention of getting at least -1.5 degress camber and more likely -2.0 to -2.25 degrees. I would be willing to give up some turning radius if these would work. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CW

Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
-M. Delaney (Steve McQueen, "Le Mans")
Cold Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #2

I would be careful. I have 18" rims that are 9" wide in front and 10" wide in back. The fronts cant support wider then 225's without a slight rub. I would be careful going any wider or else you will need to modify the wheel wells.(cut the plastic or melt it and reshape it to allow for turning radius) As for the back I have 275's and still wouldnt suggest going any wider. I have the Bilstein coilover shocks and spring and it is as low as the H&R springs. If you go too wide on the tires you will rub the edge of the wheel well.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #3

I like the idea of re-forming the plastic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmillr
I would be careful. I have 18" rims that are 9" wide in front and 10" wide in back. The fronts cant support wider then 225's without a slight rub. I would be careful going any wider or else you will need to modify the wheel wells.(cut the plastic or melt it and reshape it to allow for turning radius) As for the back I have 275's and still wouldnt suggest going any wider. I have the Bilstein coilover shocks and spring and it is as low as the H&R springs. If you go too wide on the tires you will rub the edge of the wheel well.
as it seems to be the only interference point with these particular wheels/offsets. I had a set of 225-40 18 MPSC's mounted on 8.5" et 50mm Fikse FM-5s (same dimensions as my new Volk TE37's) that bolted right up to the front hubs with no spacers and the only thing that seemed to come close was the plastic wheel well cover. There seemed to be room to grow with regards to the fender lip.

Thanks for the reply,

CW

Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
-M. Delaney (Steve McQueen, "Le Mans")
Cold Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote