Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #1

Very Cool Mod...Volt Gauge

After my alternator died last month, I decided to search for a voltage gauge which would not be too obtrusive in the passenger compartment...Who wants to look like a ricer, right?

I stumbled upon a 12v "cigarette plug" digital voltmeter on ebay for less than $20 shipped. I wasnt sure, but it looked as though I could take it apart and sink it into one of the blank switch locations in the dash.

I was right! It's as if it was made specifically for a Boxster!

Here is what I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270333726819&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

I took it apart, connected longer wires and hooked up the positive to an ignition source (I used the radio), and grounded the black wire to a cig plug. I used a little bit of clear silicone RTV to seal it into place (from the back side, of course).

You might also notice a couple other mods in the pics. I added another cigarette plug to the blank location, and 2 OEM garage switches (one for my garage door opener, the other for the gate). I soldered wires to the openers and connected them to the switches. The "clickers" are stuffed back behind the dash panel. You can't see it from this picture, because I didn't have the headlights on, but the garage switches and cig plug surround all light up at night. I ran wires across to the other side and tapped into the existing switches.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #2

i've been waiting for this EXACT thing!!!
i bought the cig plug gauge from wal-mart and works great but it stays on when the car is off (obviously)

can you please do a VERY thorough walkthrough on how you did this?

i wouldn't know where to start to do the wiring...

thanks for that post!
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #3

Smile

gosh guys (and gals) the best investment i made was the scan guage II. it will do anything from voltage to gas mileage.; as well as trouble codes. it just plugs into that plug they use for pollution control tests. so, there is no real install or cutting wires etc.
mrfredsporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfredsporty
gosh guys (and gals) the best investment i made was the scan guage II. it will do anything from voltage to gas mileage.; as well as trouble codes. it just plugs into that plug they use for pollution control tests. so, there is no real install or cutting wires etc.
Where can I get one?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #5

Garage
Check here; http://www.scangauge.com/
Old 02-14-2009, 03:38 AM   #6

Smile

thanx jax. its the same price i paid several years ago. mine just sits in that little cubby hole in the dash of my 02. ive used it in at least 4 different cars from prius to kia. i use it most for monitoring boxy's gas mileage.it will do about 4 different things at one time if you wish and can do zillions of things ive never even heard of. must admit, its the best usable after market gadget ive ever sprung for. i cant remember but i think i got it through amazon. jax has the home site in his post.

Last edited by mrfredsporty; 02-14-2009 at 03:40 AM.
mrfredsporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #7

OBC Mod

I haven't figure out if it is possible to display voltage in your digital display, but the rest should be OBC mod all the way. I just did it recently and I love it. No more guessing miles till empty. Now when my gas light turns on, I know I have about 50ish miles before empty. I even use it to track how many miles I got from a tank of fuel, so pretty cool stuff and technically it's factory. It's a shame they just don't wire that stuff up already for us, ready to go from factory.
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #8

Oh wait

If you have the Pioneer AVIC D3...I'm not sure about the other 2 din units whether they have this feature, but one of the displays when your in Navigation mode allows you to view your voltage. It's pretty cool, 3 dials and you can choose Voltage, Acceleration and some other gauges...pretty cool. I'll take a pic next time I'm in the garage.

trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote