Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 12:05 AM   #1

Tire size help .. and thoughts on used tires ?

Hey guys .. I bought rims about 6 months ago and now I cant find the email with the tire size thats supposed to go with these rims.

They are the `ebay` ruger rs5 that should be 8.5 x 19 (fronts) and 10.5 x 19 (rears) .. although when I measure with a measuring tape, the 10.5 is more like 11.5 from left to right and the diameter is more like 21" .. lol.

I m wondering whats the best size to put on these. I did some research and it seems 235/35/19 works for the front .. and 275/30/19 works for the back ?

The car isn't lowered yet, although it might be dropped a bit soon. Will be running with 7mm spacers for the rear.

And I was shopping for tires on Ebay (looking for new ones since I have a paypal discount code) and some of these used tires have really affordable price tags. A bit wary of buying used tires even though seller has almost perfect feedback from 30K+ feedbacks. What are your thoughts ?

nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #2

For the tires size on the rim, try the rim manufacturer... they may have a web site.
As far as used "rubbers", my opinion is that no one ever sold used tires because they ran "too good". Is there a warrany offered on the tires? And if the prices is really, really really good... then I might consider it.

But buying used is still a crap shoot.

Good luck
Old 12-16-2008, 03:26 AM   #3

Those sizes will work. 235 is a bit of an unusual size. With an 8.5 inch you could easily put a 245 on it.

Do not waste your money buying used tires. While they may seem like a good deal the cost of mounting and balancing a used tire is as high as a new one.

Potenza RE960AS Pole Position is a good all season tire 245 = $237 275=$257

Yokohama S Drive 235/35R19 Price: $185.00, 275/35R19 Price: $221.00

Now if you had 17" rims the price for a set of tires would be about $100 less
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
For the tires size on the rim, try the rim manufacturer... they may have a web site.
Uh. The wheel size is usually shown on the inside of the rim.

For tire size, let me google that for you.

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=tire+size+calculator

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote