Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #1

Question racing coilovers 98 986

Im not to shure whats what in coilovers for my 986 so i thought i'd ask some one who has some or is also searching. Basicly I want a stright up racing suspention system, not looking for a confy ride u kno i want all the grip i can get. If u have any links or info it would be apreciated thanks.

spadednstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #2

Do a thread search on this forum for Ksport Coilovers. There's a very long and helpful thread by a user named "Insite" that will help you research this brand. It's titled, "Ksports, all about them" or something like that.

I have them as well and they are excellent for racing, however, one must get the spring rates right as the ones the engineers put on the struts for typical setups aren't the best.

I just did my first DE with them on the car and there's very little body roll at all. Excellent!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #3

If you're serious (meaning you've got the money and you're willing to spend it), then the "real" racing coilover setups for our cars pretty much come down to Moton and JRZ. Be prepared to lay down 3X what the street coilovers from KW and Bilstein cost though - in other words you're starting at about $6,000 and up from there. Personally I've got the JRZ's and think they're great, extremely well built and engineered, but Moton has just as good of a reputation, if not better.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
More questions than answers at this point. What type of racing are you doing? Auto-X, time trials, Boxster spec, big track, tight track, short track oval... Are you a Pro or a Joe? One coilover definitely does not fit all.

Figure out what class you will be running and build your suspension to the max in your class. Some classes penalize you with heavy points for certain shock types while other shocks are free. Once you choose a suspension to meet class rules, carefully tune it to your tracks and driving style.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #5

well what im lacking right now is a sponsorship for suspention so im more down in the 2-3000 range. but i still need as closes to the best as i can get an i know you get what you pay for but i gotta deal with it till i pick up some more german based sponsers

spadednstuff is offline   Reply With Quote