Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2005, 05:46 AM   #1

New stereo suggestions needed

My CDR 210 is dying. Won't play a CD half the time and now and again just goes dead because of the fuse in the back being loose.

I want to upgrade! Please offer some suggestions. Here are my requirements:

1. I don't want the new unit to stick out, but be flush like the factory unit.

2. I want it to be black faced to keep the dash looking un-fiddled with.

3. I need a CD changer ready unit that can play MP3's off CD's as well.

4. I have the rear speaker setup as well as the dash and door speakers, so the unit needs to have some power or be able to be plugged into an amp as the factory unit is now.

Any ideas for me?

PS - I do not care if I lose the speed-sensitive volume feature of the factory system... I play it loud at low speeds!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-11-2005 at 06:43 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:56 PM   #2

Garage
I changed my stereo too.....The system I installed is a Kenwood head unit...most of the new line-up already has either pre-amp inputs or come already with 45 watts mofset cooled power that can move your speakers. The set-up I have looks flushed with the dash and It looks really good. Blaupunkt also have nice alternatives you might want to check-out...

"I am who I am, your approval isn't required" - Jack Nicholson
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:35 PM   #3

Only my 2 cents worth. Right now I have a CDR-220 head unit with the amplifier in the front and speakers in the dash, door and rear storage unit. I still don't think this setup sounds good. I don't think that just because you have more speakers you necessarily end up with great sound. I wish sometimes that my system would fail then I would have to replace it.
That said If it were me I would start with either an Alpine or a Kenwood head unit with the features I would want. Most of these unit have an input for mp3 or mini disk, whatever you use. This makes the old cd changer unit obsolete. You could have all the music you want on one mp3 storage device. Enough to get you to California and back w/o hearing the same song. To top it off they also come control ready for Sirius or XM radio just get the module for another $75.
Bethencorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #4

I was just about to post my own post asking for advice on the same subject :-)

I have an old CDR21 and it's going wonky as well. The left speaker cuts out after about 10 minutes, then cuts back in again either on its own or when I blip the windscreen washer (can ANYBODY explain that one ????).

Anyway, the sound quality is also pretty average. Too bassy with LD on, and too tinny with LD off. Radio very average, CD is OK.

Is the CDR23 a big improvement? I really like the idea of staying with a Porsche branded radio head unit, but would like to draw on your collective experience.

What about replacing the standard speakers? Especially the mid-range and tweeter units in the dashboard?

Should I keep the amp? I'd like to keep the CD changer, but an MP3 input would be a worthy trade-off.

All input, opinion and advice is greatfully received.
aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #5

Let me tell you that I discovered www.crutchfield.com's incredible way of dialing in your car model and it displays all the head units, amps, cd changers, and speakers that will fit your car.

You should try it on your Boxster, even from Australia, to see what's available for our cars.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:24 AM   #6

Generally I like their website, but their systems' knowlege of our speaker configurations is weak. It doesn't list anything for components, or optional rears, just the door subs.
F1CAR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:27 AM   #7

Garage
Crutchfield has good info on head units and amps but on speakers for our Boxster they are still out for lunch....The base audio system (at least on my '98 non s) had two 5 1/4" speaker at the doors and 3" in the dash enclosures...there are not many choices. The acoustic cabinet on the doors have a square opening meaning that unless you modify the opening and seal the surroundings of the new speaker somehow you will have speakers that will distort when power is applied...Heavy modification is needed, I.e. custom enclosure, if you want to install bigger or better speakers at the doors. The standard Nokia speaker are not bad, just there are better speakers out there that can give better fidelity. My experience with Kenwood, Boston Acoustic and Infinity has been very good in terms of clarity and fidelity.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:53 PM   #8

Has anyone tried putting 6X9 speakers in the doors? Will they fit? I would like to add an amp to my current configuration using speaker level inputs on the amp and running two MB Quart 6X9's in the doors. This would give a whole lot more sound. I would do a top mount from the front and do away with the stock grill. They also offer 6X8, 6 3/4 component systems.
Bethencorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:22 PM   #9

A similar question.

Has anyone simply replaced the standard Nokia amp with an aftermarket one, but not done anything else? Is there a noticable improvement?
aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:25 PM   #10

Garage
Cool

I have replaced the factory amp with two Kenwood units and kept the factory speakers.....Mainly you loose the speed sensitive volume control, however the fidelity I gained with the Kenwood units was significant, a short time after the swap my dash speakers were pulverized....
Old 01-26-2005, 04:41 PM   #11

My .02

Nakamichi deck. I also saw an ad for Morel in a Porsche magazine (factory replacement speakers). I have used Morel in the past and thought it was top notch. Alot of decks will fit in the dash it's just what you like the looks of mostly. I like the plain look of the Nak deck and I have heard they are also top quality.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:52 PM   #12

Pictures of the Nak deck??

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote