Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #1

Question 18" tires price shock...

I just found out if I want a set of PZero (225/40/18 front, 265/35/18 rear) in 18" it will cost me USD$1600 from TireRack plus install at a shop.

I guess I should start saving now....

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Check these out:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec
Old 11-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #3

These are definitely cheaper but I wonder how long the Z1 will last compare to Pzero or PS2...
Old 11-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #4

Tread wear rating

I want to say that the Direzzas will actually last longer than the new P-Zero. I know you can double check the tread wear rating, but there still isn't really a standard on that across the board. The Direzzas are 200 which should last you for a few years.
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Just a guess from the testing that has been done. I suspect the Dunlops will wear about the same as PS2's, have better wet/dry grip, run a little noisier, feel a little firmer around town, for about 2/3 the price. Worth a look.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:06 AM   #6

don't waste your money. i used to buy the high dollar tires. i tried one set of fuzion ZRi's (made by bridgestone) and haven't looked back. 0.95G's vs 1.0G's is more or less irrelavent on the street. plus, the ZRi's last a lot longer.

i paid $1300 or so for my last set of bridgestone RE-01R's. i switched to the fuzions ($530 delivered) and they only cost me 7/10 of a second on a 1.5 mile track. that's not enough to warrant more than twice the cost.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:39 AM   #7

Talking

I personally am not a fan of any tire that lasts longer than 30 or 40 thousand miles. It might be a little overkill, but if I could run yokohama A048 in SCCA's STO class they would be my street tire too. I am definately a big fan of sticking to the track.
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #8

Garage
consider the Sumitomo HRTZ III--have the price the of the PS2 probably 90% of the performance.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #9

Garage
Make that half the price of the PS2.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
I just found out if I want a set of PZero (225/40/18 front, 265/35/18 rear) in 18" it will cost me USD$1600 from TireRack plus install at a shop.

I guess I should start saving now....
You can get those tires WAY WAY cheaper than that. I ordered those exact tires in those exact sizes less than a month ago and I paid $1040 - shipped.

I took them to a local tire shop and paid $20/tire to have them balanced/installed, and another $99 to have a full alignment.

You can easily beat that 1600 quote. you must have gotten the "lets see if this sucker will pay this outrageous BS quote we throw out". tire shops always quote these crazy jacked up prices. once you show them the price at tire rack online, they will match it.

i'm in CA - and it made more sense to order from tirerack direct, and then pay a shop to install them vs get discount tire to match as the sales tax was high enough that it offset any savings.

FYI - I also ordered mine via my wife's website - and got another 4% off. if you want the link, you can have it. she has a business where she gets credit for referring people to websites and tirerack is on their list. you click on her website first - then it has a link to tirerack's site. it knows you got to tirerack via a clickthrough and you get an extra 4% back. you pay tirerack the normal fee, and her website kicks you 4% on a visa card. $40 back is worth an extra finger click!

http://www.fhtmus.com/crandell

go to that site. toward the bottom of the page are a bunch of icons for businesses/companies - there is one in the middle called "Fortune Rewards Mall". you click that and then scroll down the huge list of companies until you find Tire Rack.com

you click through to tire rack - and then you are shopping exactly like you went to tire rack directly, except the fhtm site tracks that you clicked through via the email you log in with. you then get a 4% credit for purchases at tire rack. you get a visa card mailed to you. it's not a scam. of course she gets some credit..but you the buyer save another $40 you wouild not have saved if you just bought straight from tire rack.

no matter how you buy them - whether you click on my wifes link, or just pay $40 more and buy them straight from tire rack - do NOT NOT NOT pay $1600 installed for the tires.

they are awesome tires - i love them. i haven't run ps2s on this car, so I can't compare...but the Pzeros rock. they grip like there is no tomorrow.

good luck!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
You can get those tires WAY WAY cheaper than that. I ordered those exact tires in those exact sizes less than a month ago and I paid $1040 - shipped.

You can easily beat that 1600 quote. you must have gotten the "lets see if this sucker will pay this outrageous BS quote we throw out". tire shops always quote these crazy jacked up prices. once you show them the price at tire rack online, they will match it.

i'm in CA - and it made more sense to order from tirerack direct, and then pay a shop to install them vs get discount tire to match as the sales tax was high enough that it offset any savings.
good luck!
Hmmm....the poster said he was quoted $1600 from Tirerack and you paid $1040 shipped from them. Even with your wifes $40 discount that a big difference Why the huge discrepancy?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:14 AM   #12

I should also add that the price includes $100 duty fees for bring it across the border, plus ~$200 in taxes (13% in province of Ontario). Still, that's about $1300 or so, how did you get them for $1040 shipped???
Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #13

A lot of the warehouse clubs have good deals on tires. From Costco I can get a full set of PS2's delivered, installed with road hazard, lifetime balance and N2 fills for less than $1300.

They don't carry PZeros.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
I should also add that the price includes $100 duty fees for bring it across the border, plus ~$200 in taxes (13% in province of Ontario). Still, that's about $1300 or so, how did you get them for $1040 shipped???
First of all - that quote of $1600 was probably a marked up quote. When I first called the local Discount/America's Tire store and got a "quote" for a set of PZeros, they quoted me some outrageous figure - as soon as I told them what tirerack.com sold them for, they agreed to match it. or course they know if you buy from tirerack you pay shipping so they will add that in to the price match..i believe that came out to about $50 for the set of 4.

If you go straight to tirerack.com and search for the PZero System "N3" tire in the staggered size...you can put in the year/boxster with optional 18" tires and it will immeidately find the correct staggered size..and when you look at their advertised price it is $212/each for the fronts and $308/each for the rears. that comes out to $1036.

i thought i paid 1040..i must have forgotten that shipping was on top of that. so my bad on that.. shipping was about $50. So w/out looking at my receipt, I must have paid $1036 for the tires, plus $50 shipping - so I got billed $1086.

Still $1086 sure beats his $1600 quote.

I didn't buy them at discounttire - the local versio of America's tire b/c they wanted to also charge me CA sales tax which I did NOT pay by getting them shipped into CA from tire rack. that saved me $85 in tax.

the price to mount/balance/etc was about the same at the america's tire shop vs the little independent shop I went to...

bottom line - if you want to get it done quick/easy and ave money and go to ONE place to get it all done - hit your local america's tire/ big-0/ whatever - and just make them price match tirerack. they will give you the same price plus they add in an extra $50 shipping..b/c they know you'd have to pay that anyway... they then add their "fees" and try to sell you warranties and that other nonsense...but in the end figure another $20-30/tire for all the install/balance crap.

in CA you pay almost $85-100 in sales tax on an expensive set of 18"s....so I pted to ship the tires straight to my house. i put them in the ack o fmy SUV and have my wife follwo me to the tire shop. I had to drive the tires to the shop in a second car - but I saved at least $100.

if you buy them via the link through on my wifes website, you'd pay the exact same cost at tirerack.com $1036 for that set of tires - plus shipping - but the website that clicked you through - credits you 4% of the purchase price - which is about $40. you get that sent to yo in teh mail on a visa debit card. i alrady got mine.

honestly, i don't care where you buy your tires. just don't pay $1600.

the fortune website thign is something my wife got into - it looks like a neat business opportunity - clever idea, but I don't want to thread hijack.

shop online and find the best prices - you will easily beat the ridiculous quotes that most retial outlets will quote you. a lot of people shop for tires and just pay what they are quoted. they don't try to haggle. they pay way too much.

i've always either made the local shop price match tire rack or just had the tires shipped to my house and then pay a tire shop to put them on. i ordered the tires from tire rack on Monday, they were at my house by Thursday - and I had them installed Friday. my wife thought I was crazy to get so excited over 4 tires showing up to the house.

i tried to explain to her that it was like here buying new shoes... women don't get it. she said it made the garage stink.. i thought it smelled good. that "new tire" smell.

i stacked al four up and let my 6 year old stand in the middle and snapped a cool pick with the boxster int eh background.. i'll have to upload it later.

good luck. you'll like the tires. they are GREAT. I"m sure PS2s are good too, but my car had Pzeros before and I loved them - so i figured it it aint broke don't fix it, so I stayed iwht pzeros and could not be happier. the G's this thing will pull on turns is insane. I also have M030
Old 11-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #15

Ah. You were talking about PZero System, not the new PZero.

PZero:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero

PZero System:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+System

Rear tires alone there's $120 difference for a pair.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I have Sumitomo HRTZ IIIs and they are nice. DO NOT TRY DOING ANYTHING IN THE RAIN THOUGH. I was scared ****************less driving the car in heavy rain the other day. I didn't have that problem with my old S-03s and P-Zero Rossos.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 11-06-2008 at 11:15 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Ah. You were talking about PZero System, not the new PZero.

PZero:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero

PZero System:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+System

Rear tires alone there's $120 difference for a pair.
AH - yes... I got the Pzero "system". it has the N3 rating on it. I believe these are THE tires that the car came with when new in 2000. I still love 'em.

i noticed the treadwear rating on the "cheaper" N3s is lower than this newer PZero tire.... i'm wondering if the ones I have which are cheaper stick better but wear faster? as i only derive this car for pure fun and occasional commuting to work - i couldnt give a rat's a$$ about noise, wet traction (so. cal.) - i just want STICK STICK STICK. i'm not goin to get track tires and have them wear out in a few months... but for a street tire, these rock.

honestly, our cars handle so well, i'm sure a lot of the ultra high performance tiers would make anyone happy with their car. I am happy with what was on the car when I bought it so I figured "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and stayed with what was on teh car.

given a set of tires is $1000+, it would have been an expensive "mistake" if I had switched and NOT liked what I put on!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #18
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
don't waste your money. i used to buy the high dollar tires. i tried one set of fuzion ZRi's (made by bridgestone) and haven't looked back. 0.95G's vs 1.0G's is more or less irrelavent on the street. plus, the ZRi's last a lot longer.

i paid $1300 or so for my last set of bridgestone RE-01R's. i switched to the fuzions ($530 delivered) and they only cost me 7/10 of a second on a 1.5 mile track. that's not enough to warrant more than twice the cost.
+1 on the Fuzion ZRis, great street tire.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #19

Ah, found out that Kumho Ecsta MX tires are $900... I think I feel better buying 2 sets of these instead of 1 set of Pzeros.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #20
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I've used those, but the Fusion ZRi tires are MUCH better and much cheaper!

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 11-21-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote