Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 03:57 AM   #1

Coolant change

I would like change the coolant in my 98 Boxster. I know the manual recommends 'only' the Porsche approved coolant. What are some recommendations on other more available, less expensive coolants? I've owned a 928 and 944 and used just regular 50/50 Prestone. Also, is there a special sequence you have to follow in changing the coolant to prevent air pockets or to bleed the system?
All advice is welcome!

BoxsterSenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:25 AM   #2

I haven't yet done the coolant flush thing, but here are a couple links you might find helpful:

http://www.boxsterforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9195&page=1&pp=20

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9112&page=1&pp=20
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:10 AM   #3

Coolant change

Thanks for the links.......very useful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
I haven't yet done the coolant flush thing, but here are a couple links you might find helpful:

http://www.boxsterforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9195&page=1&pp=20

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9112&page=1&pp=20
BoxsterSenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #4

I used Peak Global LifeTime. Do some research on it and you'll find it meets every requirement. Buy the concentrate coolant and buy several gallons of distilled water.
I followed the procedure that was posted here earlier when I did this last year and marked it "fair" when I finished.

My thoughts after doing this last Feb.....
Level the car on ramps....I raised it around 5" on all 4 wheels so it would drain normally.
There are 2 big hoses leading to the radiators in the front. You'll want to disconnect them and drain while under there.
There are also two heater core smaller hoses to drain near the two larger ones that I just mentioned.
You may want to replace all those German clamps which are crappy when reused.
Be sure thatyour hoses are sound....you car is old and it they have not been replaced, you should do it.
I did a total refill with distilled water twice running it for 20+ min each time to flush it. Yep...do all the drains with each flush. When you refill, crawl under there and squeeze those big rad hoses a bunch of times to help burp out the air.
refill with coolant. Then top off with water.
I measured what I drained and compared to what I was putting back in to estimate sir pockets, etc.
This is a patient job. Takes days due to the cooldown needed to flush it.
I had the nose skin and stuff off when I did mine because I had a radiator to replace as well. I was able to drain the front points at the radiators as well, but you won't have to do that if you do a patient job flushing it.
Overall, I'd call the job a PITA, but worth it. If it never leaks, I would not touch it for at least 5 yrs.

Bob
Old 10-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to LamuzNick
natural Paxil Cr sr online no prescription fast Croatia !!! +++

Tell to me, please - where I can find more information on this question?
LamuzNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #6

an Airlift vacuum fill tool completely eliminates the burping process, but you do need an air compressor to operate it. For more info on this, see Pedro's DIY section.