Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #1

Convertible top switch problem

98 Boxster, having problems getting the top up/down. I have been able to get the top up/down when I manually press the switch that is supressed by the locking lever or by hitting the rocker switch continuously. Now it doesn't work at all. Has anyone dealt with this or know the best way to diagnose/fix the real problem?

marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #2

I've had it apart to replace a bulb. You need to remove the 2 torx screws (t-15 or 20?) and the whole thing will come loose. It's a simple switch, so cleaning it, making sure it doesn't bind, may correct it. If not, replacement is #986.613.795.01 and would be an easy swap.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:04 AM   #3

Jim / LB is correct - the swap out is easy.

The microswitch in the center latch is sensitive and known to fail. Sometimes it fails just b/c it filthy dirty and other times it's due to the wire contacts point breaking. The contacts can easily be re-soldered if you so choose but you'll need a pencil tip soldering iron.

Anyhow, to remove the center latch housing, use your fingernail and pop out the two black eyes. Behind each is a T-30 torx screw.

Once it's free, try cleaning the the switch (use compressed air or a cotton swab w/ some rubbing alcohol on it. You don't need to reassemble completely to test. Turn the ignition on and put your finger in the switch (as if the top were latched closed) and put your windows all the way up. Then pull your finger out of the latch hole. If the windows drop the 2" like the top is going to be put down, then you're good to go. If not, the contacts may need re-soldered or the entire switch is bad.

Word of extreme caution, when you reinstall the latch housing DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN the T-30 screws. Just snug them up but don't try to over crank them tight. Otherwise, you can split the retaining nut:

which necessitates either removing the windshield to replace them or installing nutserts/pemserts. Replacing them is not an extremely difficult job, but not one to be undertaken just for the "fun of it", right Jim/LB

In case you do need it, here's a DIY I wrote up for installing nutserts to replace split retainers...

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 08-24-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #4

Jim and LB--You two are awesome! Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will give it a shoot this weekend. One note: Currently the windows drop @ 2" when I release the top. Should I be looking elswhere for the problem?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #5

JIM/LB,
I cleaned all switch contacts as you recommended and everything is working great! Thanks again!!
Old 08-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #6

It's just Lb, my name's not jim, seems some dellusional conspiracy theorists think I'm someone else, but they're wrong, as I've already told them.

The windows dropping is correct. This is to prevent pinching or tearing the top seal.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 08-23-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:01 AM   #7

My apologies LB. Incidentally, ever have any problems w/ your retainers in the windshield header? Seems to be a hit & miss problem w/ Boxsters (more hits than misses though). Did you check out my DIY? If so, what'd ya think? Thanks in advance
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
Did you check out my DIY? If so, what'd ya think? Thanks in advance
I read a similar (exact) post by a guy named 'Cassiebox' over on Renntech a few months back, and on Mike Focke's site (http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/randrcenternuts) cautioning about over-tightening the windshield nuts, is that you?

I've never been inside the header, just pulled the center switch to change the bulb, and I didn't know about this caution, so I guess I lucked out.

I've never seen a nut-sert before, it looks like a threaded pop rivet right? The tool suere does. I know about the time-serts Porsche uses, but they're closer helicoils.

I read the DIY and it seems thorough, I think I could do it (hope I never have to) from studying that - looks good.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 08-24-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
It's just Lb, my name's not jim, seems some dellusional conspiracy theorists think I'm someone else, but they're wrong, as I've already told them.
LB / Jim,

Denial is not just a river in Egypt...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #10

FELLAS,

PLEASE!

Make sure that the parking brake warning light comes on in the dash before you go too far.

After reading all of your posts, I realized that I have to have the parking brake set to operate the top. I thought I should had a indicator light on. So I checked the book, and sure enough I SHOULD! So I moved the brake handle side to side while operating it and the light finally came on. DUUUHHHHHH! The top operates correctly! Please don't make my mistake.

Good Luck
Robert
REMOTES_N_MANUALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #11

Thank you Burg boxster
Advice spot on. Having nightmare with roof but re soldered connections per your advice. Now working perfectly. Thanks a million
Bob

And...

If you can't say anything nice..say nothing at all.
Nobbynumbnut is offline   Reply With Quote