Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #141

OK Ksport fans... I discovered a new problem with my coilovers. The top bolts up front are so much taller than factory that the outside ones on both sides protrude and touch the plastic cover, which has rubbed the paint off the inside of my hood.

This developed after the first hard driving day I did in the country Saturday.

I must now grind down at least one on each side to ensure that rubbing stops.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #142

ok, my final verdict is in on these things. i finally found a good track setup & went racing last thursday. bottom line: these are pretty good. first, a caveat: i am a VERY consistent driver, so i feel comfortable comparing my times with various equipment.

my previous best time at this track was a 1:12.7. this was done on the bridgestone RE-01R tire (1.01G standard grip) with the M030 springs, GT3 front sway and H&R rear sway. i had NO passenger and was running on fumes; the car was as light as it gets on track.

this time i was running on Fuzion ZRi tires (0.93G standard grip). these tires are generally about 7 or 8 tenths slower at this track than the RE-01R's. my first laps out, i had a full tank of gas AND a passenger; i ran ~1:13.2's. later in the day, i got down to less than 1/2 tank of gas and no passenger. also, i'd learned to drive this particular setup a bit better. i turned a 1:12.2. so, i turned a time that was 1/2 second faster on SLOWER tires. when i adjust for the tire difference, my net gain on the same tires would be about 1.3 - 1.4 seconds a lap (1.41 mile course). that is a HUGE gain for some one looking for tenths. i think i could have even done better had i had one or two more sessions.

the car is PHENOMENAL to drive now; i really loved it at the track. last time out, it was set up WAY too loose for me. this time, i went half a click softer on the rear sway and evened out my tire pressures. PERFECT!

around town, i feel like i have a setup that is reasonable enough for daily use. on the track, it's only going to get better as i refine the setup parameters.

anyone still interested in a group buy, PM me and i'll work on getting it setup. once i have the number of sets we're talking about, i'll get pricing information. i can say at this point that i recommend these coilovers, but that you should expect a STIFF car!

for those interested, here is some video from thursday:

FYI, the first lap is warm-up. the car in front of me is a 3.8L 964 race car on hoosiers. i am in a 2.5L boxster on fuzion street tires. notice he's not pulling away THAT quickly.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #143

oh, and out of fairness, here's my one blooper from Thursday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8hcUpKsO8w

overcooked it just a tad!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #144

You've now got me pumped for the DE I'm going to do in December!

You know what I noticed? Very little body roll around those corners. Sweet!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #145

Insite, what kind of settings are you using at the track?

tire pressures
sway bar settings
ride heights
shock stiffness
camber/toe

I'm trying to get my ride heights dialed in now. I think I was hitting my bump stops at my last autocross. I'd be curious to see how you've got your car setup for the track.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Insite, what kind of settings are you using at the track?

tire pressures
sway bar settings
ride heights
shock stiffness
camber/toe

I'm trying to get my ride heights dialed in now. I think I was hitting my bump stops at my last autocross. I'd be curious to see how you've got your car setup for the track.

Kirk

tire pressures are 38 hot (or 38 cold at autox) front and rear. front gt3 sway is full soft. rear h&R sway is full soft on one side, full stiff on the other. shocks at the track were set at 31F, 30R. front camber is -1.5; rear is -2.0. front toe is zero and rear toe is VERY slight toe in. have to get back to you on the ride heights, but the rear is 1/2" higher than the front. it REALLY performs like this.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #147

Thanks Insite. I appreciate the feedback.

At my last autocross I think I was running too low in the front - about 24.5" from the ground to the fender, measuring through the center of the wheel. I've raised it up about an inch now.

Your toe settings seem to be pretty typical for our cars and that's how I'm running. I was at -2.5 degrees of camber in the front though and -3.0 in the back. I couldn't stand the noise from the camber plates though, so I've pulled those and will align the car closer to what you have, -1.5 in the front and -2.0 to -2.2 in the rear.

I'll try running higher tire pressures next time as I was quite a bit lower - 32 psi front and 34 psi rear.

Kirk
Old 11-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #148

Kirk, educate me as to what the noise sounded like and how I would remove the camber plates... I'm not even sure I know what they are on my ksports (sometimes I feel like a total idiot).
Old 11-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Kirk, educate me as to what the noise sounded like and how I would remove the camber plates... I'm not even sure I know what they are on my ksports (sometimes I feel like a total idiot).
You don't really need to worry about it Randall. I'd bet the camber plates on your car are fine. The ones I got just had a bad batch of spherical bearings in them. I knew they were bad because they'd make a loud rattling noise over any kind of road irregularity. My daily driver has camber plates too and over the last six years I've been driving it I've never had so much noise.

The camber plate though on your KSports is the part at the top that locates the top of the shock and the spring. It has a couple of bolts in it to allow you to adjust camber.

Kirk
Old 05-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite

they're $1,000 SHIPPED
So much for the great price...not even 1 year later and the price now seems to be $1,600... :troll:

Plus I cant find all the spring options...
Am I looking in the right place Ksport Website ?

All the best,
Gus
gandrade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #151

and for $600 more you can get a remote canister double adjustable JRZ with spring plates and springs of your choice! (16 way rebound and 15 way bump) PLUS adjust the canister pressure

I still have not seen ANY of these on a track car (I average 15 days a month at a track events and AutoX events 12 months out of the year)

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #152

Gus, the spring change option is not something you will find on Ksport's web site. You simply ask the reseller to order them from Ksport for you with the rates you request.

Pity they're so expensive now. I'd save a couple of hundred more and get PSS9's or the over the top ones Brad is talking about.

Hey Brad, where would the cylinder be located on a boxster? I see them zip tied to the rollbars in GT3's at the track but wouldn't know where to locate them on a boxster.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #153

PSS9 pricing has gone up also!!

Randall,

the front JRZ's have the canister "fixed" to the strut tube. In the rear, you can use an "adele" clamp and mount it in the fenderwell. I have asked them for longer lines to the rear canisters so I can mount them in the trunk. They said NO problem!

FYI: the pics below are of a CaymanS install, but the shocks are configured the same. You can see the canister mounted on the front shock.

Damn.. I hate that.. now "linking" the pics ...

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 05-27-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #154
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandrade1
So much for the great price...not even 1 year later and the price now seems to be $1,600... :troll:

Plus I cant find all the spring options...
Am I looking in the right place Ksport Website ?

All the best,
Gus

They are still selling on Ebay for $1088 from several sellers.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #155

Tommy, you are correct!

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37.l1313&satitle=ksport+kontrol+coilovers+boxster&category0=
Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Hey Brad, where would the cylinder be located on a boxster? I see them zip tied to the rollbars in GT3's at the track but wouldn't know where to locate them on a boxster.

I've got mine mounted in the rear trunk:

and in the front trunk:

Kirk
Old 03-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #157

I noticed the spring rates for the Ksports are 296/502 now.

A lot more oversteer now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-99-00-01-02-03-04-05-Boxster-Ksport-Coilover_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cedf31b37QQit emZ330409646903QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5 fAccessories
seafeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #158

Are these spring rates ok for a daily driver? I hate cars that feel like a pogo stick.

cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #159

Is there an easy way of accessing the camber plate adjusters once the coilovers are on the car? I have a very similar setup- Cross Coilovers and the access is quite hard through the small top-mount hole where the strut bolts to.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #160

Chris, I've looked at this numerous times, scratching my head. I too have Ksport Kontrol coilovers.

If you were to bend a hex wrench you may be able to get into that hole and loosen the four hex bolt heads and move it a little.