Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #1

air oil separator and smoke issues

for all those out there who've had issues with failing air oil separators and smoke in high-g turns i just got my porsche motorsports racing "dual" air oil separator. it is massive... I'm dropping the car off tomorrow to have it installed, i'll give updates and installation issues and if it corrects issues with smoke on track days/ax's. porsche part number 996 107 926 00

986barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #2

Does it look like it will fit without any modifications, or can you tell? I would love to see pictures of the installation, and some idea of whether it's more difficult to install than a stock AOS!
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #3

not sure if it will fit easily... hoping so. I've heard it bolts right up to the engine but issues with clearance for emissions stuff like the air pump, i know a cayman S guy who ponied up for 10 hours labor to reroute all the secondary stuff but have been told that shouldn't be an issue on the older boxsters...we'll see. I'll know more tomorrow. Here is a picture of it next to a soda can for reference, its quite a bit larger than the stock one.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #4

Good luck with that. Hope it works out. Please post pics on the install.
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #5

Just following up to see how the motorsports AOS install went. Easy, drop in replacement, some modifications needed or a complete no go?

If installed, can you tell any difference driving with it? Please post pictures of the results when you get a chance
Old 07-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #6

hey, thanks for the reminder... turns out to be a no-go. my mechanic had the car for two days of head scratching and just no reasonable way to make it fit. might be doable on the '05s or newer but no go on my 98. the mounts are completely different and would require some serious modifications. so i'm back to square one. anyone tried putting some washers inside the vent tubes to limit the oil from blowing by?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #7

Unhappy

If it wouldn't work on your '98, I don't think it will work on my '01. When the time comes to replace, it looks like I'll have to use the stock AOS. Oh well...

Thanks for the update
Old 07-24-2008, 06:34 AM   #8

Where in California are you.

Have you seen the 4 page bulletin Porsche put out in 2004 on how to install the motorsport separator. Additional parts are necessary.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:25 AM   #9

I'm in San Diego, hadn't seen a bulleting, where would i track one down? My mechanic couldn't find any bulletins on the subject either.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Have you seen the 4 page bulletin Porsche put out in 2004 on how to install the motorsport separator. Additional parts are necessary
TP - don't just leave us hanging like this! Not fair!
Old 08-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #11

Just as an additional, related note - I've got a Greddy air/oil separator that was an aftermarket bit I had installed on a previously owned Subaru WRX. I spent a couple hours seeing if I could install that in my '00 Boxster S in-line after the OEM AOS. The idea would be to have a redundant system in case the OEM unit fails the Greddy unit would pick up the oil and has a visible sight glass to let you see if it's filling up with oil.

Well bottom line is that the Boxster engine bay is EXTREMELY tight. There's just no room for extras like this. My best option was to mount it in the rear trunk next to the coolant tank and run hoses through the firewall. I've got other projects to work on for now, so I put this on hold for the moment, but I'll see about picking it up again later. Not a priority though as I don't really see a redundant system here as necessary. I'm just playing with parts that I already have.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #12

the mantis guys routed the AOS to a catch can rather than into the throttle body. i believe it somehow runs back into the crank case.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
the mantis guys routed the AOS to a catch can rather than into the throttle body. i believe it somehow runs back into the crank case.
Cool... do you know where they mounted the catch can? This sounds similar to what I had planned with the Greddy catch can I have. Basically disconnect the line from the AOS to the intake plenum and attach the catch can in between. You could maybe blow it off to atmosphere (illegal in Cali where I live though) and let the catch can drain in the crankcase, or you could just route the outlet hose back into the intake.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914

Last edited by Kirk; 08-01-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Cool... do you know where they mounted the catch can? This sounds similar to what I had planned with the Greddy catch can I have. Basically disconnect the line from the AOS to the intake plenum and attach the catch can in between. You could maybe blow it off to atmosphere (illegal in Cali where I live though) and let the catch can drain in the crankcase, or you could just route the outlet hose back into the intake.

Kirk
i saw their test rig at road atlanta two years ago; it was some ghetto milk jug setup. their car is a cayman racer; the milk jug was mounted in the stripped out trunk area. not sure what their final setup looks like. you can email stan carmichael or ernie jacobowski at mantissport.ca; maybe they'll give some details. they may even sell their setup.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #15

See http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21641 for the Porsche instructions
Old 11-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #16

As I write this RUF is installing a Motorsports Oil Separator 996-107-926-00 in my 2003.

Last weekend I had a problem with smoke at turn 11 of Eagles Canyon. See the photos caygirl posted here -- same track, same turn, same smoke, different car. It's a tight 180-degree left and all was good if I backed off, but heavy on the throttle in second gear and *boof* smoke everywhere.

I'm anxious to see how this monster of a oil separator looks in the engine bay.