Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #1

Talking Track Day Cadwell Park 08 July

This is one of the best tracks ever! The weather was mixed rain and sunshine but I had a fantastic day. It started out strange when my friend and I arrived and there were motorbikes preparing themselves to go out, I thought I had made an almighty c*ck up but actually it was the first mixed Bike / Car sessions that MSV had done (not on track together) and it worked really well.

The result was that there were only 7 cars!!!! Basically we all agreed to delay our departures by 20 seconds or so and had clear track time and with the fastest at the back still chance to overtake. I put in some of the fastest laps I have ever done and the car was fantastic. I had an instructor with me during one of the dry sessions, he and I were just laughing all the way around and he loved how neutral and planted the boxster is.

I LOVE the Mountain corner but try as I might I could not get airbourne. I managed to get it very very light and as the last photo shows I almost got the front wheels up. My friend in the GT3 got a wheel up off the ground but is too cheap to buy the photos (thats why he can afford a GT3)

All in all a great great day and a track you must attend if you are in the UK. I need another 100hp now, need to see daylight under the tyres next time!

I think i am a sheet of newspaper away from seeing daylight. This is a photo of a Radical race car showing how it should be done. I found this on Google, he was not there on the day although these guys often attend the UK track days.

noone986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #2

Great pictures. How are those big GT3 brakes working out? Can you feel a big difference between them and the stock Boxster S (996 brakes) ? I'd like to do that mod myself once my budget allows for it.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #3

Yeah they are awesome, very very strong and no fade at all despite several long track sessions. The only issue, as I discovered recently, is that to install them the guys at Ninemeister use the 996 GT3 MK2 front hubs, this is fine but changes the offset of the front wheels from 55 to 40. My BBS replicas are fine but my OEM wheels wouldnt clear without spacers. I didnt have any so have done the last few track events using my road wheels.

I am just pricing up some new track wheels and will have them custom made for offset, I am not a big fan of spacers.

Oh, I just noticed you have the roll bar extender, can you run that with the standard top and with the trim pieces and wind deflector. I notice yours seems bare

Cheers

noone986s is offline   Reply With Quote