Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #1

feeler on different experiences for power packages

Hey all,
Just wondering what kinda Engine management setups you guys running,
headers, exhaust, ECU,
ive researched GIAC, Upsolute, and other companies, but since i also own a STI which is running a E-manage, i was thinking of adapting one to my box-s. Although i haven't heard too much about ECU's and such
just wanted to see some numbers put up and what kinda issues you guys have as far as installing\reliability.
im thinking of doing a complete power upgrade after deployment and trying to get some combo ideas. cost or fuel mileage not a concern since its not gonna be my daily. but more focused on performance/reliability
oh and no CEL
Thanks guys

stibox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #2

Good luck on your re-search!

I think you will find the Porsches in general (non-turbod that is) not especially receptive to aftermarket add ons. GHL, Fabspeed, B&B are some exhaust folks to check out. I am sure someone does ECU flashes, but was never interested in finding out. Most will claim the Boxster is more about Balance and Handling than straight line speed. Maybe you get a 10% boost when all is said and done, but is won't be cheap.

You may even find that a $3K 996 motor is a cheaper, more effective upgrade than anything else.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Honda, Subi, Mitsu just come alive with a good turbo, dyno tuned remap and suspension tune. On a Boxster (and a lot of guys just hate it when I say this... flame suit on.) it is mostly just money down the rat hole in my opinion. The fastest guys in terms of lap times at the track are still wearing nothing but a smile and a good set of tires. So go out and drive that thang.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
I've got headers, an EVO intake, and a very open exhaust on my 986S, and it certainly did wake the car up, especially in the mid range. CEL's are chasing me around a bit now, though...looks like some software updates will be next. I enjoy working on the car and experimenting with combinations, so the troubles don't bother me. I see them more as challenges to overcome. If you don't feel the same way about your car, be sure you do everything at once, and get a system that's designed to work in harmony.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:22 AM   #5

I have a 2001 Boxster S with EVO intake, Dansk headers (O2 sensors moved behind the second set of cats), and a Powerchip re-map.

The change was significant and, after about 4,000 miles, I haven't had any CELs.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:56 AM   #6

im inquiring simply because im a tech junkie, i mean i pretty much enjoy tweaking everything i own. so i was just putting out a feeler as to what you guys typically do. as far as performance, im not looking for any huge numbers just up 50hp to around 300 so i can push out of turns more if i wanted to.
now with the STI the E- manage lets me change Boost and A/F maps on the fly, so it makes the car a lot more versatile (Especially Off-road ) now being able to do that on my box would not be as beneficial without a large range of torque.
so about that 996 Swap
Old 07-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #7

stibox,

I agree with Topless, good tires and upgraded suspension.

The Boxster is very different than the STI, IMHO of course.
We have an 02S that can eat up a $5000 Fabspeed mod car on the track - why you ask...because we have the suspension and the tires to run faster corners and brake later

Also, I agree with the 996 engine swap for more power...check on tholyoak's postings about Boxster engine swaps...IMHO, if RUF does it...it must mean something.

Take care,
Ed
Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #8

hmmm

which leads me to ask what suspension mods and tyres are you running? If you dont mind me asking
Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #9

Get REVO software, Exhaust and headers and you will notice a great difference in drivability and performance. After that its up to you to be a great driver.
MoeMonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Honda, Subi, Mitsu just come alive with a good turbo, dyno tuned remap and suspension tune. On a Boxster (and a lot of guys just hate it when I say this... flame suit on.) it is mostly just money down the rat hole in my opinion. The fastest guys in terms of lap times at the track are still wearing nothing but a smile and a good set of tires. So go out and drive that thang.
I completely agree. Boxster is a driver's car, not a "tuners" car.

I was in the imports thing, but now I'm just enjoying the car, spend the $ for some nice sticky rubber and visit the gas station frequently.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #11

You can get some good power with a bolt on turbo.
www.turbowerx.com

If you want more exteme power you have to do a custom engine build.

As far a suspension it depends on what your plans for the car, some guys have done a large number of suspension write ups. Use the search function and have fun.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stibox
which leads me to ask what suspension mods and tyres are you running? If you dont mind me asking
Stibox,

We have H&R lowering springs, maximum camber, TOYO R888 245 frt 275 rear on BBS 18x8 and 18x10. Last year we ran KUMHO V710's . 710's are better for Ax and R888 for track DE's. My son's track 911 currently has Nitto NT01 (came on the car when ourchased) and they are pretty good tires also.

Take a look at this video - Boxster 02S on R888 and me (the old guy) driving - son is 5 seconds faster on 1.3 mile track
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/Arizona-ed/Boxster%20S/?action=view&current=DE-OCT2007-Eddie_0001.flv

Note: the Yellow GT3 is on MPS Cups tires. And, I backed off after he braked suddenly in a turn and I about hit him.

Take care,
Ed

Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote