Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #1

Garage
New Headers for my '04 S (Installation and Frustration)

Just got a set of headers off of EBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Raci...emZ260238624570 .

I just got the headers in from China! Yea I know, allot of you are saying "Why didn't you just go to Wal-Mart and buy 'em?". The cost was $100 for the set (including gaskets) and $50 shipping. Well the shipping took 3 days, from CHINA!!! The quality is outstanding, 304 stainless steel, mandrel bends, a flange that I swear is half inch thick (no warping), two O2 bugs (per header) and chrome plated. I figured the tubes would be thin but their thick also. So thick I don't think there will be any weight savings even with the removal of the front set of cats.
I'm not writing this as some sort of promo for this foreign company, I writing this as info only to a group of 986 enthusiasts. The cost, quality, value and speed of delivery impressed me. I can't see an American company selling this product for this price. I'm going to try and find the time this weekend to install them. It's a shame their under the car because they are gorgeous to look at, even my wife thought so after finding out I bought them without her knowledge . I can't wait to fell the difference in the seat of my pants at the track!!

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 05-17-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Just got a set of headers off of EBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Raci...emZ260238624570 .

I just got the headers in from China! Yea I know, allot of you are saying "Why didn't you just go to Wal-Mart and buy 'em?". The cost was $100 for the set (including gaskets) and $50 shipping. Well the shipping took 3 days, from CHINA!!! The quality is outstanding, 304 stainless steel, mandrel bends, a flange that I swear is half inch thick (no warping), two O2 bugs and chrome plated. I figured the tubes would be thin but their thick also. So thick I don't think there will be any weight savings even with the removal of the front set of cats.
I'm not writing this as some sort of promo for this foreign company, I writing this as info only to a group of 986 enthusiasts. The cost, quality, value and speed of delivery impressed me. I can't see an American company selling this product for this price. I'm going to try and find the time this weekend to install them. It's a shame their under the car because they are gorgeous to look at, even my wife thought so after finding out I bought them without her knowledge . I can't wait to fell the difference in the seat of my pants at the track!!
Congrats. Let us know how you like them after the installation.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #3

the link doesnt work

but are these the one you bought?
fu03steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #4

Garage
Yes, right down to the gaskets and packaging. Are there two O2 sensor holes per header? The company in China is called HK Racing, they have their logo plate tack welded onto one of the pipes. How much are those headers? Do they have a different name?
I see the picture you have says "Surewinproducts", is that the name of those?

P.S. try this link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racing-Header-for-Porsche-Boxster-986-2-5l-2-7l-3-2l_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262Q QcategoryZ33631QQihZ016QQitemZ260238624570

P.S. This link is to your EBay picture http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-986-2-5L-2-7L-97-98-99-Exhaust-Header_W0QQitemZ270235978349QQihZ017QQcategoryZ133 195QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Same China built header, different company, same high quality. As you can see I just answered my own questions.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 05-14-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #5

yes i thought about buying this headers
but i was not sure whether if the CEL is going to
turn on. are you going to replace the secondary cat
with test pipes? let me know ASAP on how it works....
if CEL dont turn on... then im buying one asap
Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 AM   #6

Unless he does something else, DME reprogramming etc, he is definitely going to have a CEL. No primary cats = CEL for catalytic efficiency.

-Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #7

In searching Ebay it sure seems like Surewin, Deluboz, Maxspeed, Exhaustcn(HX Racing), and 425450 are all purchasing their headers from the same supplier. Since Deluboz is a trusted sponsor and seller here and on ebay, then I would trust the headers from Surewin (if they truly are the same) are quality as well but let us know what you think after you get them installed, my guess is that you will get the dreaded CEL light
Wingnut2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut2u
let us know what you think after you get them installed, my guess is that you will get the dreaded CEL light
I overheard the perfect solution for CEL issues the other day. Take a piece of black electrical tape and cut it into a small circle the size of a dime. Then stick it over the CEL. Whalla! No more CEL
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I overheard the perfect solution for CEL issues the other day. Take a piece of black electrical tape and cut it into a small circle the size of a dime. Then stick it over the CEL. Whalla! No more CEL

i have a way better solution... take off the gauge cluster and remove the CEL bulb
wah la!!! no CEL forever and ever

Old 05-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #10

Garage
I read an old post from CJ Boxster and in it he had a IPB (illustrated parts breakdown) of my exhaust system. The picture showed a place for an O2 sensor aft of the secondary cat. If its there and I plug my O2 sensor to that I should be able to operate without getting a CEL, right?

The picture of the exhaust system in post 254 on the Thread called "Performance Exhaust and Header for Boxster".

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 05-15-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
I read an old post from CJ Boxster and in it he had a IPB (illustrated parts breakdown) of my exhaust system. The picture showed a place for an O2 sensor aft of the secondary cat. If its there and I plug my O2 sensor to that I should be able to operate without getting a CEL, right?

The picture of the exhaust system in post 254 on the Thread called "Performance Exhaust and Header for Boxster".
i dont have to worry about that... cuz i have a 2.7

ummm im not exactly sure what will the computer sense or detect...
because after eliminating your secondary cat the air flow increases and
the chemical fumes changes so im not sure what it will do...

my mitsubishi is easy... i replaced everything straight pipe
no worry
Old 05-16-2008, 05:51 AM   #12

Quote:

Yes, I saw that in the diagram. I don't recall seeing 02 bungs before and aft of the secondary cats on my car though. There might be a place to tap and drill a set. 2nd issue with that is your wires for the 02 sensors arent' nearly long enough to stretch back that far so you'll have to cut and splice some extensions. I heard that can backfire because the longer wire has more resistence which can cause a CEL as well. Did you install the headers yet? Let us know how they work out.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #13

On the subject of CEL....

Why cant someone download and copy the DME program from a European Spec car (no CEL with no Cats), and then email it to the USA and we can download and flash our american DME computers to avoid the Cat delete problem?

just wondering,
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
Why cant someone download and copy the DME program from a European Spec car (no CEL with no Cats), and then email it to the USA and we can download and flash our american DME computers to avoid the Cat delete problem?

just wondering,
James
that sounds good..
but who got the hook up ??
Old 05-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #15

Garage
Headers are going on this weekend as long as my 'ol lady will allow me the time. She gets pissed when I go do "fun stuff" instead of watching our 1 year old son. The swap shouldn't take that long. I'll see about the wiring on the cats. If worst come worst I can always swap back and just be out $150. Better than paying $500+ for a system I can't use. I think of this way, it cheap for me to test the pipes and even cheaper for those of you waiting for the results.
I can't wait for my Durametric kit to get here. The website says I'll be able to monitor real time parameters as well as all codes to include the triptronic. Also all overrevs. Best thing is I'll be able to help my local PCA members in case they have problems.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #16

As I have stated on other posts, the ROW program is on the PST/PIWIS, you just need to find someone to map your ecu for you.
-Todd

Quote:

just wondering,
James
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #17

What does it take to map the DME and change our cars to ROW? Will the dealer do it? Aftermartket Indy shop?
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #18

Quote:
What does it take to map the DME and change our cars to ROW? Will the dealer do it? Aftermartket Indy shop?
James
dealer wont do it...
and i doubt aftermarket indy shop have it
Old 05-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #19

Garage
As I said in my past post, I needed time this weekend to do the install. Well I found the time last night between 10pm and 3am.

This is the set before install

Drivers side OEM set

Both OEM sets removed and ready for the install

Drivers side installed, looks great and the install was fairly straight forward.

Now for the bad news. This is a shot of the passenger side, and as you gear jamming guys can see I have hardware where you don't. The two black lines you see next to the lower block, below the exhaust ports are coolant lines for the tiptronic transmission! The forward exhaust port is directly above the the line and directly in the way of the forward exhaust tube. These lines are "T'ed" into the main coolant lines on the forward bulkhead. I tried to move them but the T is rubber and the line is metal. I e-mailed the manufacturer in China and he said " i think we can modify the header for you, but we need you modify the headers first, and then plz send the sample back to me, and we will copy a header for you according to your sample. you only pay the cost of shipping,we will copy the header for you by free.ok?" So they're ready to work with me on the problem.

For the cost I think I'll just see what I have to do to clear the line and e-mail him with the results and have him make me one and pay for it and the shipping. It will be a wash if I had to ship mine back and forth. In the mean time I removed the other header and installed the OEM set so I can drive the car.

I'll keep updates coming when they happen.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 05-17-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #20

That sucks. That so disappointing. It great that they are willing to work with you, though.

That view, minus the tranny coolant lines, is so familiar now. I installed my new headers today. The secondary cat bypass pipes didn't arrive yet, so I couldn't finish the job either.