Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #1

New Yokohama S-Drives!! Very happy!

Long story short, I had a blow out on Sunday. My Pirelli Rosso Zero sidewall is torn up. Price for a rear pair was 600.00. I am going to need fronts in the not too distant future. I was not really too happy about spending 1200.00 on a Monday. I asked my tire guy about a nice replacement that wouldn't break the bank. He suggested the Yokohama S-Drive. I read a little and decided to go with a new set all around.

http://www.tirerack.com/tire-12/Yokohama/S.drive.shtml

For 693.00 I got 4 new tires. For the price, I was willing to give them a try.

So far so good! The car definately rides softer on the highways. This is a good thing. I feel like every pebble and crack does not directly transfer into my ass. Also, I dont have any lane wander at all. No fighting the steering wheel to stay out of ruts on the road. This alone would be worth double the price to me. I have always hated that aspect of the Boxster. I had a slight wobble, shake in the steering wheel about 80 mph. No matter how many times I had the Pirellis balanced, still would not stop shaking. All the way up to 120mph tonight no shake at all... I could have drove with 1 finger!! The tire looks great as well!!

Hopefully, they will continue to please!

Just thought I would share a lower cost alternative that so far works!!

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #2

how long have you used them

Hi, i am about to replace 4 tires on my boxster S (2003). Any issues with fast corners with the new tires? I have Michelin tires now and I like them but they are getting worn.

Thanks!
deboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks for the heads-up Audio Guy, the reviews look good, price looks right and the tires look great.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #4

I have put on about 200 miles since new tires. The Yokohama S drives are a great everyday tire. I have to say, they track great on the roads around here. I couldnt stand fighting the steering wheel if the road was rutted out. Now, there is no pulling at all. I an basically let my had off the wheel at spots on the road I know to be bad with no problems. This also fixed my high speed shake. I have had it up to 130mph with no shake at all. Finally, the car feels like I knew it could!

They are very good in wet weather. I feel like steering response is a tad slower here and there but not that noticeable. They look awesome.. very aggressive and excellent tread pattern. High speed corning is on par with the Zeros. I havent really pushed that issue yet. I will report back next time I take a few on off ramps.

We will see how they hold up. For the money I give a strong nod!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #5

Garage
Not that I'm against a little "cloverleaf racing", but if you want to really put your tires to the test, find an autocross that's scheduled around where you live. Get out on the course and let us know what happens. A course will be a controlled environment with a lot of turns and braking situations, a true test of those Yoko S's.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #6

I purchased the S-Drives in September of '07 and have been very happy with them.
I have put on 7K miles since Sept, the tread has been holding out just fine.

No experience tracking, this is my daily driver.

Kind regards,
Halo
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #7

I have these tires on my previous car for a few months, comparing to the ES100 which I ran till they're bald, the S-Drive have less steering feedback while offering more road comfort. Sure it doesn't pull your steering wheel when you hit a uneven surface on the highway, but the soft sidewall is a tad on the mute side with less feedback than I like.

Definitely great for daily driver though.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:00 AM   #8

Garage
Goodyear F1 gsd3

I have the Goodyear F1GSD3's on and love this tire. It seems to have the traction of the Contis I had in the wet that they had in the dry. Best tire I have ever tried in the wet. 140mph down the backstretch of Road Atlanta and the tires were perfect on vibration.

Last edited by mmontfort; 07-12-2008 at 05:03 AM.
mmontfort is offline   Reply With Quote