Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #1

Wiring troubles

Hi, I need some assistance and not sure where to find the info. I have done lots of searching around but can't really find my answer. I am trying to replace my stock 97 986 head unit, speakers and amp. I have all the seperate components purchased already and everything taken apart in the car. My problem is the wiring. I don't know how to go about it. It looks like it will be too hard for me to run new speaker wires to the doors (am i correct? anyone run thicker gauge wire ot the doors?).

I also don't know how to wire the new HU to the stock CD210 harness. I bought a Scoshce Harness for a 97 996 but it doesn't seem to be the right fit. I dont have the BOSE system in my car. I heard that a VW harness might work? Any ideas or can anyone point me in the right direction for a wiring diagram of the stock wires so that if I can't find a harness I can just hard wire to the stock wires myself? Thanks any help would be much appreciated.

I have already run RCAs and power wires to the front trunk without problems.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #2

I read the post hoping it would be a DME or other non-audio wiring Q... My only advice would be take to a GOOD car audio shop...
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #3

Unless you are VERY electrically gifted, and trust yourself 100%, this is a job for a car audio professional.

To directly answer your questions, yes you can run heavier wire into the doors, but there is no need to. The stock German wiring is good. As to wiring the head unit to your amps in the trunk, you will need RCAs from the HU to the amps, and then need to tie into the factory speaker wiring from the old factory amp to power the speakers. You will need to tie into the harness at the HU for power, dimming, and antenna pickup. If you are installing a GPS Nav, you will also need to tie into the speed sensor wiring to speedo pickup.

If you research, you may find a plug and play adapter, but this isn't a common install like a Honda Civic so I doubt you'll have much luck there. I would have a good audio shop do the work.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote