Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2004, 06:00 PM   #1

Rebuilt or Used Transmission replacement?

Well, I found out that the first gear rattle at low RPM's in my 97 is a broken tooth in the 1st gear flywheel. I need to replace the tranny.

Local authorized porsche shop said it would be 2,000 minimum to replace the flywheel and clutch while they're at it.

Dealer want $3,800 for a rebuilt tranny installed, but said they'd install any transmission I brought in or shipped to them.

Oklahoma Foriegn wants 2200 plus a core exchange for a used one (not rebuilt) 45K miles on it.

LA Dismantlers wants 1500.00 plus a core exchange for a used one (not rebuilt) 32k miles on it.

Anyone know where I can buy a 5 speed for a 1997 that I can be assured will work trouble free? How much?

Somebody point me in the right direction.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #2

Hold your horses-

The flywheel is missing a tooth, and you need a tranny HUh?????????

Do you mean you lost a tooth in your first gear.

If so why not replace the first gear. Was this diagnosed without pulling the tranny.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:21 PM   #3

Yea, I rember I had this gas remote control car that had a two speen tranny. And when I lost a gear I would just get a new grear and reassemble it. That is why I never keep a car after the warranty. Repair shops are just out for money, so get a 3rd party to answer it, like this forum.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:45 PM   #4

I just verified with a friend who said pulling first is not bad at all on G86 tranny.

Thankfully I have never had to do this so far.

Scott
Old 11-09-2004, 05:28 PM   #5

Pulling it isn't any more expensive than replacing it... it's the cost of the 1st gear, which I've been quoted $1000.00.

The shop that diagnosed the problem over the phone said that low rpm "braaaaap" or rattling in first gear is indicative of 1st gear losing a tooth and requires a first gear flywheel replacement.

My thought is just buying a used, low miles or rebuilt transmission since my engine has just 5K on it (replaced just a few months ago before I bought it).

What I'm hoping someone on this list can provide is a good source for a replacement transmission that is guaranteed to work or sells rebuilt transmissions for my 97 boxster. Anyone know of a source?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:46 PM   #6

You are probably looking at $3000-4000 for a used tranny. To repair the tranny maybe $1500.00.

The used tranny would/could have the same problem very soon, or something really bad.

Once in there, anything else will become evident.

BEWARE- anyone telling you "first gear flywheel replacement" should be stayed away from completely.

No such animal. either one or the other, and the two have totally different characteristics.

Scott
Old 11-09-2004, 05:58 PM   #7

thanks, dude! I'll post my eventual solution and massive expensive payment pricing when I get it replaced.