Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2004, 07:49 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Plastic to Glass switch possible?

So the soft top on this Boxster I bought this summer is basically dead...the fabric is worn and pinched, there are several tears and cracks in the plastic, and with all the clear duct tape on the window, I am pretty embarrased to be driving around this Porsche.

So my question.

Can I have Porsche put on a new top that has the glass window instead of the plastic window? Are the two interchangeable? I would much prefer the glass than the plastic (yes, all of you people that insist a plastic window is part of the "roadster" mentality, I know...).

Thanks!

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:57 AM   #2

Ir will be about $8,000 just for the parts because you need the 2003/4 frame.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:54 AM   #3
porsche986

Subenez, i wouldnt do a glass window if it was me, its a waste of money and never looks right. I was once told by someone that the boxster glass window was made for the lady driver in mind, stupid i know but thats what they told me.

porsche did what ferrari would never do.

Last edited by porsche986; 10-29-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:02 PM   #4

ToolPants-Thanks, I had a suspicion I'd have to change out the frame.

Porsche986-Though every thursday night I DO dress up like a lady and hit the town, the actual reason for the idea isthat I like driving with the top down even when its in the high 40s, low 50s. This past weekend, when I went to put the plastic top down, it was too cold and the plastic was too brittle, and I made another tear, and thus another ugly fix-up job with the clear tape. I figured I wouldn't have to worry about that if I could get a glass window. But I am not so concerned as to spend $8000 on the new kit!

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Old 10-29-2004, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Though every thursday night I DO dress up like a lady and hit the town
Waaaaaaay too much information for this Boxster owner!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
porsche986

lol randell

i know its a pain subanez the plastic window... but if you did go for glass it would add value to the car and stop all the problems but i just think the plastic window looks superb and a pure porsche.

I know what its like to have the window crack its a sickening feeling, hell at least it shows you have the top down, there are a few boxsters near me that always have the roof up even when its red hot, its a red boxster with a ? white softtop ?

Last edited by porsche986; 10-29-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:22 PM   #7

subanez, do you do the Boxster chop when you drop the top? I have dropped the top when it was in the 50's and since i always use the chop, I haven't had any problems.

You can put a sticker or decal on the outside of the crack or tear. Hides it and sometimes looks cool/funny. (like the bullet hole decals, or maybe the bumper sticker of one of your interests).

Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:54 PM   #8
porsche986

yes the chop thing does work, however you can only do that if noone is around as if you do it when people are watching it looks like your control is broken or the boxster is a 2 stage program.
I always feel silly when people watch a porsche converting then you stop half way and get out to finish off. But i done this for around 8 month and now its found its own line and folds perfect. When the hood is up you cant see any marks or lines which is great. the porsche ( chop ) does work.

I like the idea of a bullet hole
Old 10-29-2004, 05:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Subanez
I like driving with the top down even when its in the high 40s, low 50s. This past weekend, when I went to put the plastic top down, it was too cold and the plastic was too brittle, and I made another tear, and thus another ugly fix-up job with the clear tape. I figured I wouldn't have to worry about that if I could get a glass window. But I am not so concerned as to spend $8000 on the new kit!
When the top is up and it is too cold to lower, driving for 15-20 minutes with the defroster on. This warms the top enough to operate without cracking the plastic. The manual says not to operate below freezing, but I usually warm below 40 degrees. If I hear a pop sound while opening or closing, I figure I cut it too close and try to warm for longer the next day.

When the top is down, I use an electric blanket to warm the folded window so that it will be warm enough to open.

As the weather cools, I usually park top down (in the unheated garage) over night. In the morning, if the weather looks too bad to drive top down, I turn on the electric blanket 20-30 minutes before I get ready to drive. If the weather is good enough (no sleet) I bundle up good and use the blanket to warm the window while I am driving to work. By the time I get to work, it is warm enough to close the top.

link to thread showing blanket picture
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:58 PM   #10

Complicated process.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:03 AM   #11
porsche986

good idea, but it wouldnt work for me as i have no patenice, i do have heating in my garage of a second combi boiler and rads which heats the garage up quite alot. I wonder if a hair dryer would be quicker than an elec blanket? just a thought
Old 10-31-2004, 10:54 AM   #12

Lots of good discussion here.

Yes, I actually DO do the boxster chop...but when I picked up the car this summer, I noticed the previous owner must not have done that...bad plastic!

I've heard of that electric blanket idea, and these are all superb ideas for planning it out.

But when you've been driving all day and its cloudy and cold, and suddenly the clouds part, the sun comes out, and the temperature climbs into the 50s, that's when nature calls and I must put the top down.

And what, none of you guys dress up ever? ;-)