Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #1

2000 Boxster intake size?

Does anyone know the intake diameter? I want to pick up some parts on the way home today to build an intake system. But I dont know what size pipping to buy. Does anyone know?

SinnerDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
3" diameter works
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinnerDC2
Does anyone know the intake diameter? I want to pick up some parts on the way home today to build an intake system. But I dont know what size pipping to buy. Does anyone know?
Just wondering, why do you want to do this? I doubt you can put together better intake than Porsche. They spent numerous hours and funds developing the one that came on the car.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #4

You have to question Porsche

If that were true, then you have to question why they put such an inferior exhaust system on the car...?

Some theorize that they didn't want to rival the performance of the 911.
Why do you think they don't want to put the 911 motor in the cayman or boxster?
I don't know but it stands to reason that they wanted to curtail the performance for some reason...

I do believe that Porsche does those things for reasons that are unknown to us.
Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
-Desnorkeling, plus +5hp proven on a dyno.....why does Porsche install such a peace on the car if it de-powers it and quiets the intake? Who knows.

-986 550 Spyder has the 987 intake set up instead of the 986,the 550 also has some more hp than the 986 S with the 986 intake set up. Why didn't Porsche just install the 987 intake set up on all the 04' 986 as well? Who knows.

-Why is the 986 S exhaust set up noticeable smaller in diameter than the 996 set up but yet the engine is almost the same in every way?(the dudes at Instant G addressed this)

Porsche has their reasoning for doing stuff which they will never release to the public.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:34 AM   #6

sweeett 3" diameter... i am also going to do this hack today or tomorrow. i have never opened the engine compartment, and was wondering how big of a pipe i required. this saves me time, now i can buy the pipe then open the compartment...instead of opening compartment then buying pipe.

i spent all night going through all the intake threads and can't wait to hack awayyyy!!!

good luck sinner...telll me how it goes, i'll probably do this tomorrow afternoon!
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #7

Why they do it

A mate of mine is the senir race engineer with a Carrera Cup team here in Aus (Carrrera Cup is the series for the GT3).

He has told me that Porshe only support 911 racing and want the 911 series known as their flagship performance vehicle. So it would make sense that they would de-tune other models such as Boxster & Cayman so as to make the 911 series vehicles performance noticeably better.

Just a thought.

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #8

Will a 987 intake system bolt-up (physically fit) an '00 986'S'? Yhe salvage yards are full of these parts, by now...

superglide is offline   Reply With Quote