Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #1

Check Engine Light

I'm a fairly new owner of a used '01 Boxster S with 70k miles. While doing a PCA Drivers Ed day last Sunday the check engine light came on. After viewing this board I was happy to find out that I could go to Autozone and borrow their scan tool to check for codes myself.

I have a P1130 & a P1128 code "Manufacturer control fuel/air metering". I cleared the code and have driven the car for a week and check engine has not returned (yet).

Should I take the car to a mechanic to be checked out. Is there anything I can check myself?

Any help is appreciated...love this forum - I've learned a ton.

waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #2

What a horrible time to get a CEL. Those were the codes that I had when my MAF went out. Have you done any recent work on the car or installed any new modificiations?
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #3

Check Engine Light

I've made no changes or modifications to the car. It is completely stock, no intake or exhaust upgrades.

When I bought the car from a local 'high end' car dealer a year ago, I got a CEL. As it was under 30 days of purchase the dealer 'fixed it'. A couple weeks later I got another CEL which the dealer would not cover as it was just after 30 days. A local mechanic discovered a cracked emmissions canister. This was 9 months ago, and the car has been good since then.

From reading this forum, I'm wondering if it just might be time (70k miles) for o2 sensors or mass air flow sensor.

On the other hand, it might be fine for a while. I was just wondering if I could be doing any damage to the car by continuing to drive it.

I heard from another guy at the DE day that his Boxster throws CEL 'all the time'.

BTW - I love this car...and had a great time at the event. It rained all morning so we got lots of 'sideways' time. Great to finally get to drive the car 'vigourously' in a proper environment.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #4

You can try cleaning the MAF as thats basically free. There are a lot of past threads here on how to do that.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Your car is running lean. Could be a bad/dirty MAF, also could be an intake air leak. You will probably want to fix this soon. Running lean is hard on the motor.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
fab

MAF sensor
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #7

I was at the DE, it was great playing in the rain although my windows kept fogging up! I was in the green run group with a red boxster that liked to smoke in the figure 8 turns. if you want to relive the mini AX at the end i filmed a few laps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_fF06-qWgw . You doing the autocross next weekend?
your CEL sounds like the MAF is the culprit... try cleaning it yourself first.
986barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #8

Hey 986barnum! I was in the yellow Boxster, I'm pretty sure I talked to you at the figure 8. I think you gave me the tip on using Autozone to borrow their tool to check the codes.

Thanks for posting the video, was great to relive the track.

I can't do the autocross next weekend, will be out of town, but am planning on doing one soon - hope to see you there.

I'll check the MAF, seem to be the concensus.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #9

help, maybe?

Hello~
I have a 2006 fully loaded signal red Boxster that I bought brand new, (only 2.4 miles on it when I bought it). I have Michelin Pilot Sport tires, (front 205 55 ZA 17, and 235 50 ZA 17) that I need to replace, they have been AWESOME .........25,890 extreme mountain,curvey, miles........yes I live by Lake Tahoe........Does any one have this year of car and what tires do you like? I haven't had any problems and I truly love my car no problems.
thank you,
propane

propane is offline   Reply With Quote