Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #1

What Exhaust do you like?

I know this has been kicked around quite a bit from reading through the forums, but I would like some opinions as to what is the best aftermarket exhaust company to go with.

I just purchased a 2001 S and would like to upgrade it with a nice sounding exhaust kit.

This car will be used as a toy and will be babied to death. I actually found a 1 owner California car with 13'000 miles on her. Literally has never been in rain and garaged all her life. Perfect color combination too. Guards Red with Savannah Full leather interior. Paint is flawless and optioned to the hilt.

Was thinking of doing the full scope Fabspeed headers and exhaust kit along with the powerchip mod, but would really appreciate any professional comments on this.

Thanks, Jon

jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #2

dansk headers, high flow cats, and the dansk sausage on my S.

i think the sausage is a lil restrictive though. i will be changing mine out this summer.

adding the evo intake made the whole thing sound LOTS better : )
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:43 AM   #3

Benny, did you install the Evo yourself? Do you think it was worth it and have you had any CEL's with anything? Seems like headers make a huge diffrence on these cars, expecially after I watched the Fabspeed comparison video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny986
dansk headers, high flow cats, and the dansk sausage on my S.

i think the sausage is a lil restrictive though. i will be changing mine out this summer.

adding the evo intake made the whole thing sound LOTS better : )
Old 02-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #4

yeah, i installed it. honestly, the hardest part was putting 1 last bolt in to secure the heat shield.

the whole thing is tedious, but its not hard by any means. i didn't have to break the OE intake box, well at least not much, i could still put it all back in, and no one would know the difference.

was it worth it? if you are looking for sound, then yeah. if you are looking for just a lil more umph, then sure. but this is no magic pill. it will not transform your car into a beast.

combined with my other mods, it works well.

no cels. (knocks on wood. but I do have a pre-existing slow to read o2 sensor. I had that prior to this install. its still there.)

headers are good, as are the cats, and a chip, if you can run higher octane once ina while. I have the revo program, that allows me to switch between 100octane and 93 and 91 and stock programs. the 100oct program is pretty fun : )
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
bmussatti

Jwade, I would vote for the Porsche Sport Exhaust. No resonance issues.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #6

I say straight pipes!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1VI-rTaUmU

or you can do the Pedro exhaust hack. This muffler is an OEM muffler with a bypass pipe going around the muffler. Ignore my ugly tips, it was a temporary muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEPv_l6GBfw

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #7

bmussatti,

Any advice on where to pick one of these PSE's up that is relatively economical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Jwade, I would vote for the Porsche Sport Exhaust. No resonance issues.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
bmussatti,

Any advice on where to pick one of these PSE's up that is relatively economical?

Jwade, try here:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=00004420012&Category_Code=986exhaust

And try www.sunsetporsche too for better pricing.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #9

I like my stock '00 S exhaust that has been modified to sound like the PSE. Mostly because it was free and doesn't add any weight, unlike the PSE.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
I like my stock '00 S exhaust that has been modified to sound like the PSE. Mostly because it was free and doesn't add any weight, unlike the PSE.

I agree with you john, i have had straight pipes the PSE hack and now maxspeed, of them all I liked the PSE hack the most.

I am now considering a PSE hack on my maxspeed muffler

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #11

Quote:

Jwade,
You are in luck! I was just browsing thru Ebay and i came across:
Item number: 180216228576. This is a direct bolt on fit on your 01 S. It is extremely rare to find a used PSE out there.
I have the same identical PSE and i love it a LOT. I didnt bother installing the
vacuum/electronic switches since the sound is very subtle with no resonance.

Last edited by spine911; 02-17-2008 at 04:46 PM.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:45 AM   #12

I saw it. Thx.

Quick question? Does this exhasut sound alot different than the stock version?

Have you ever posted up a video? Would love to hear what it soundslike on the S version engine. Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
Jwade,
You are in luck! I was just browsing thru Ebay and i came across:
Item number: 180216228576. This is a direct bolt on fit on your 01 S. It is extremely rare to find a used PSE out there.
I have the same identical PSE and i love it a LOT. I didnt bother installing the
vacuum/electronic switches since the sound is very subtle with no resonance.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #13
bmussatti

Quote:
I saw it. Thx.

Have you ever posted up a video? Would love to hear what it soundslike on the S version engine. Jon
Jwade, do a search on You Tube.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 AM   #14

I did, and the only one I could find was the PSE on a 2.7 standard Boxster.

Is there a version out there for the 3.2 S w/ PSE or does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Jwade, do a search on You Tube.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #15

As for an aftermarket exhaust. I think you need to decide what's more important to you, loud sound or no resonance. It's hard to have a loud exhaust without also having resonance. The only resonance-free options I know of are PSE, Gemballa, Pedro mod, and I believe Dansk.

Last edited by Kirk; 02-18-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #16

After considerable research, it seems like I am basically torn between the PSE (added weight, but OEM Porsche, but no extra power) and the Fabspeed full system that includes both the exhaust and header / sport cat option (more power, but at a significant cost.

Is there anything else out there I should consider??? Please speak up as I will listen...I'm not a hardhead by any means and want to do this the RIGHT WAY.

I can get the PSE for well under @2000 shipped to my door. The Fabspeed is a whole diffrent story, especially considering the header option. If you know what I'm talking about, then you know how much....

I will use this car as a toy and no daily driving whatsoever. With that being said, should I say the hell with it and spend the money on the Fabspeed full system approach or deal with stock cats and headers for the PSE?

Thanks. Jon
Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
As for an aftermarket exhaust. I think you need to decide what's more important to you, loud sound or no resonance. It's hard to have a loud exhaust without also having resonance. The only resonance-free options I know of are PSE, Gemballa, Pedro mod, and I believe Dansk.

I have to agree with Kirk on this.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #18

Quote:
I saw it. Thx.

I personally can describe the PSE sound on a 986 much like a stock 996 - absolutely NO resonance across all rev. bands. That is why i have my PSE on default (always ON) mode.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #19

I just had a local Porsche shop put in the exhaust and headers from Maxspeed-Motorsports. I am picking it up tonight and will let you know. The EVO intake is going in this weekend.
Chris
Dragonwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #20

I have the FabSpeed exhaust on my 02 S and I am looking to get rid of it. PM me if interested.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote