Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2004, 09:14 AM   #1

Remote didn't work...then it did! ????

I had been out of town for a week, and unable to drive my Boxster.

Last night, I went into the garage and there it was, waiting for me to drive it. The alarm light was blinking as usual.

I pressed the door unlock button on my key and the light on the key fob light up bright red, but nothing happened... no alarm disarm, no unlocked doors, etc.

After repeated attempts, I put the key in the door, manually unlocked the car and put the key in the ignition. Started fine.

Then I killed the engine, removed the key and tried it again... worked fine, and continued to work fine for the next two hours.

Anyone had this problem and know the source?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:16 AM   #2

could be a battery problem???lose connection??
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:45 AM   #3

This is not a "problem" and your car is functioning as designed. After a few days of not being used, the remote entry and alarm will turn off so that it does not drain the battery. This happens to me every time I get in my Boxster because I only drive it on the weekends. This is explained someplace in your manual but I forget where.

(of course I dont mean the alarm turns off, just the keyless stuff )

Last edited by QporscheQ; 10-06-2004 at 09:47 AM.
QporscheQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:08 AM   #4

Is it also normal to hear the horn beep when you lock the car? Mine does it intermittently.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:05 AM   #5

Why thank you QPorscheQ! I'll dig through my manual and find it. Paid 38 bucks for it, so I should definitely drag it out often to get my money's worth!
Old 10-06-2004, 01:40 PM   #6

No problem. This confused me for a while too when I first got the car.

Sentinel,

Your horn will honk when the alarm does NOT set. This normally happens because one of your interior compartments is not closed, one of your trunks is open, or even if the gas tank flap is not closed. Check your manual in the alarm section, it will explain it. The Boxster's alarm is opposite of most car alarms in that it will not honk if everything is okay and the alarm sets. The horn will only honk if the alarm is not activated for some reason.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:30 AM   #7

I dragged my manual out last night and there it was! "After 5 days, the car automatically turns off the ability to use the remote on your key to save battery power. To re-enable it, use the key to manually unlock the door and start the engine."

One little paragraph off all by itself in the key and battery replacement pages. Can't beleive I missed this.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:29 AM   #8

QporscheQ

Thanks. I ordered the manual from the delaer but did not get it yet. I was told that the 2000 is out of print so they're sending me a 2001. It cost $36 from the dealer, on eBay it goes around $80.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #9

thanks for the info.
eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QporscheQ
Your horn will honk when the alarm does NOT set. This normally happens because one of your interior compartments is not closed, one of your trunks is open, or even if the gas tank flap is not closed. Check your manual in the alarm section, it will explain it. The Boxster's alarm is opposite of most car alarms in that it will not honk if everything is okay and the alarm sets. The horn will only honk if the alarm is not activated for some reason.
Will it honk if you leave the gas cap open for example, then get in the car and begin to drive?
I have never done this, I am just curious.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #11

Having similar problem but drive daily. Go to car in morning and it doesnt work. Drive to work and 50/50 chance it will lock. Some times it works & sometimes it doesn't. I changed the battery in key nothing different. I wonder if it is the key or something is wrong with cars sensors. Any ideas?

CP711 is offline   Reply With Quote