Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2004, 06:20 AM   #1
porsche986

tyres

I know the boxster is rear wheel drive.. but i am forever changing my rear tyres...

i mean at £155.00 each its not what i expect. they are perrelli z rated N3.
Anyone know why i have to chnge em every 3 or 4 month? they are totally illegal at the moment and are booked in for 2 new rear tyres on monday.

the fronts are fine...

Old 09-30-2004, 11:04 AM   #2

I have Pirelli PZero z rated tires and do not have such problems. They have been on my car for 6k miles and still have tons of tread left. How much mileage are you putting on them and how hard are you driving?

Boxsters are supposed to have negative camber, resulting in slightly faster wear on the inside of the tires. How are they wearing out on your car. Have you taken the car to an alignment shop? Maybe there is something really out of wack, but I'd think you would notice if something major. I can't imagine that you drive that hard all the time that they would wear out that often,, but maybe you do!

Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 11:26 AM   #3
porsche986

thanks for the help, i must admit i drive hard, i dont think i have ever pulled off without racing through the gears.. its that boxster noise its soo tempting...

the front tyres are fine its just the back.. maybe i will get them aligned. What sort of things would i notice is they was a problem...

i think the rears are wearing from the inside out..

Last edited by porsche986; 09-30-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:32 PM   #4

I get 15-18K miles on the fronts and 8-9K miles on the rear.
(thats about 25.000 km front and 13.000km rear)

2002 Boxster S - 37K (Installed 5th set of rear tires Wednesday)
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
porsche986

That not bad ad sach, what make are your tyres?
Old 10-03-2004, 07:37 PM   #6

Pirelli PZero - replaced at 8K because I hated the noise - since then Yokohama ES100s. The Yokohama AVS Sport might be a better tire than the ES100 - Pilot Sport Cup are definitely better tires but co$t more.

If you have never had a 4 wheel alignment it is definitely worth it. I personally max out the negative front camber and add -0.5 to rear relative to front. For example -0.7F -1.2R This may cause inside rear tire wear unless you corner very aggressively (like at the track) -0.3F -0.8R might be better for all street use. Whatever settings you come up with, have a shop that specializes in track-ready 4 wheel alignment do the work.

What with springs settling etc, any Porsche over 6 months old can benefit from a good alignment at least once.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:25 AM   #7
porsche986

yes good, thankyou i will do that