Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2002, 11:13 AM   #1

30K service

What needs to be done and how much would it cost? I will try to do everything myself, what will I be able to do and not be able to do?

Yoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 12:09 PM   #2

I did my own 30k service on my '97. I used the browse button for a picture of the parts you need, but I think my picture is too large to show up. Cost of filters, oil, and plugs was $106. Delete the plugs if your car is a 2000 or newer, as it is not needed until 60k miles.

If you look at your maintenance booklet it will tell you what needs to be done. BTW inspecting the belt is easy.

Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 07:04 AM   #3
Unregistered

What's the typical cost for the 30k miles services.

I don't have time to do it by myself, nor the skills.

Mine is a '01 S. I think I will need new brakes and new clutch!

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2003, 07:54 PM   #4

a new clutch? I would expect that will be covered under warranty; brakes will not.

MY dealer in Florida told me the 30k is around $400, depending upon what needs to be done.

What about tires? Have you replaced them? If so, what tires did you buy? It is tire time for my car.
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 08:48 AM   #5
Unregistered

New Clutch

Just found the forum- nice place...

Anyhow, about the clutch. I have a 2001 Boxster and the clutch wore out at 21k, slightly over a year. I do not drive the car hard, nor ride the clutch or drag. I have driven manual vehicles before and the last time I replaced a clutch was never and I had that Miata used for 4 years. Not to mention I was probably very rough on it since I learned to drive manual on it.

The clutch material was completely gone- I mean it looked like when you use a plastic eraser on pencil and you get those rubbings? The clutch material looked like that. Porsche would not honor the warranty citing normal wear and tear. I even took it up to Porsche America and they stood by the mechanic's assesment.

I thought a performance car like a Porsche would have a nice clutch that can handle the stresses of a performance engine. I guess not. The whole fiasco ran slightly under $2500 for parts and labor. Suffice to say, I am not very happy. I love the car, but this is ridiculous.

Last thing I might do is to write a letter documenting the issues and fowarding it to the owner of the dealership as well as Porsche America. I also had a host of issues with this car, which aren't as major, but major enough (windshield replaced, top replaced, clearcoat chipping in dime to nickle sized chunks, cabin rattles).

Love the car, but getting married. Probably be selling the car, since its basically brand new now! lol. Anyone interested? Fully loaded minus GPS and tiptronic. rzakaria78@yahoo.com

Hope that helps any clutch questions...