Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #1

Exclamation desnorkled porsche + rain?!?

i desnorkled my 99 boxster and finally out on the road again. i use the boxster as my daily driver, and i drove it a few days ago when it was raining! so what should i look out for? should i put the snorkel back on? is desnorkeling my porsche a bad idea when i use it as a daily driver in a place with unpredictable weather such as california?lol. thanks in advance guys!

rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #2

just wanted to add a quick note...i love the sound of my porsche without the snorkel. but if removing it is gunna cost me a new engine some day, id rather put it back on and save up for an exhaust!lol. whats ur opinion?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

You have nothing to worry about.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If you actually look at the intake system design and look to see what water would have to actually do to get to the intake filter you wouldn't even worry.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #5

thanks guys for putting to rest my concerns. just wanna be on the safe side...after all, we all love our cars.lol
Old 01-10-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
You have nothing to worry about...there is also a water drain in the stock air intake right near the air filter section. Just don't put a pressure washer nozzle in the intake opening when washing your car.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:32 AM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Just don't put a pressure washer nozzle in the intake opening when washing your car.
That wouldn't hurt anything either. Most people don't realize how extremely difficult it is to hydrolock an engine.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #8

I just desnorkled my 2000 S today and it sounds really SWEET at 4K+ rpm, especially with the windows down (weather was too lousy today to put the top down).

It rains a LOT here in Seattle, but after looking over the airbox/intake system, I'm not worried about the water getting up in there either.

2000 Boxster S
Ferrari 550 Maranello
Subaru Outback DD
SeattleBoxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #9

Weird timing on this thread. I desnorkled and put an EVO intake on my car several years ago with no problem but had big time problems Saturday morning. I was on my way to a PCA event and stopped to give my car a quick rinse at a self-serve carwash. It was very, very early in the morning and I think I was still half asleep but must have got the hose too close to the intake vent.

Got back on the road and about 10 miles later got a blinking CEL followed by engine missing and loss of power. I had not put two and two together yet and was wondering what the heck happened (I was also pricing a 3.4L conversion in my mind so things weren't all bad).

Limped home and checked the code. It was P0304 which is 4th cylinder missing. Took the access panels off the engine and saw water at the bottom of intake filter tray. Ah ha! Next day it ran fine.

ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote