Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #1

Question Ordered Maxspeed Shifter - Linkage question.

With a Maxspeed Motorsports short shifter on the way I am going to replace the linkage. Do I need one or two of these? I was going to get the Schnell one.
Thanks,
Chris

Dragonwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
bmussatti

Chris, I think these short shift kits are 50/50% love/hate. Be prepared for stiffer shifting in the cold weather months.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #3

just got my maxspeed short shifter installed a week ago. didn't replace linkage. don't think you really need to.

i love the new short shifter. shifts are so much shorter, but it is more stiff than stock (a good thing imo). thought oem shifter too loose for me. one of the best mods in my opinion
maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
alpine headunit in custom center console
red/clear LED tail lights
mchi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind
With a Maxspeed Motorsports short shifter on the way I am going to replace the linkage. Do I need one or two of these? I was going to get the Schnell one.
Thanks,
Chris
There is one on E-bay right now that looks like the Schnell knock off.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120202445506&rd=1
I am replacing mine, since they are known to break. The factory ones are just plastic. So while you are changing out your shifter for a short shifter one, why not upgrade the linkage while your at it and have access to everything. Makes sense to me to do it all at once.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 12-26-2007 at 11:59 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
There is one on E-bay right now that looks like the Schnell knock off. ... So while you are changing out your shifter for a short shifter one, why not upgrade the linkage while your at it and have access to everything. Makes sense to me to do it all at once.
That's what I was thinking. I have a e-brake switch I haven't put in yet either. I figure seeing as I am taking apart the center I might as well do everything at once including running some speaker wire to the rear for a future install.
Thanks,
Chris
Dragonwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #6

Here is some info. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2472&st=0&#entry11426

Evo was the first on the market with a "shift link" which I would rather call a cable connector. Now they are all over the place. The clones are being cloned.

The stock cable connectors are made of plastic. I have never seen a broken one or a picture of a broken one.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote