Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #1

Removing Tail lights..What tools do I need **NEW PICS**

I recently bought some red/clear LED tail lights to swap out the orange/red OEM tail lights. Can't find my manual anywhere. what tools do i need to swap out the tail lights? I removed the headlights already and those were simple...all i needed was the tool included with the porsche to pop out the headlights.

do i need a torque wrench or something else to remove the tail lights? any DIY floating around here? i did a quick search but couldn't find any. thanks

maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
alpine headunit in custom center console
red/clear LED tail lights

Last edited by mchi5; 01-06-2008 at 05:13 PM.
mchi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #2

No need for a torque wrench. Simple open ended wrench should do. I do not recall what the size is, 9 or 10mm should be all you need. Once you get in there it's pretty self explanatory.

Good luck, give us pics when your done

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
blkboxster

a hammer

Old 12-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
No need for a torque wrench. Simple open ended wrench should do. I do not recall what the size is, 9 or 10mm should be all you need. Once you get in there it's pretty self explanatory.

Good luck, give us pics when your done
thanks man, i should get it in on friday. some people may think it looks "ricey" but i don't. Alot of newer high end cars are going the LED route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280183838868&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

now i think THESE below are rice, where it's completely clear LEDs:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-986-Led-Tail-Lights-TailLights-Lamp-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118QQcatego ryZ33716QQihZ016QQitemZ260165053299QQrdZ1QQsspagen ameZWD1V
maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
Old 12-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #5

I have those same Option Racing lights. I like them a lot + Easy install see this thread: blink blink...

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
Old 12-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
I have those same Option Racing lights. I like them a lot + Easy install see this thread: blink blink...
awesome dude, i love those lights on your porsche. actually i used your pics when I finally decided to buy those LED tail lights! hope it's an easy install. looks good on your black boxster...hope they look as good on my grey boxster. i'll have to take some pics when i'm finally done.
maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
Old 12-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #7

I am certain you'll find the install be really easy -one of the easiest things to switch out on the car if you ask me.

I'm a bit of an optics snob, so here's what bugs me about those LEDs... And please, if some one that has these LED lights correct me if I'm wrong. But don't the brake lights still use the same incandescent bulb? Theoretically, that's lame because one of the main purposes of LED usage on brake lights is the slightly faster speed in which it fully illuminates. It appears to me that the LEDs are merely used as the parking lights. If that's the case there's no real advantage to that.

But if it's just for looks, then I guess it's just the same as adding "carbon fiber" trim. Again, just my opinion.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #8

All you need is a screwdriver and household tools. I recently changed mine on my 02.
Porsche_farsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
HB.

I changed mine using those same tail lights, and I love the results. They make the car look a generation younger. I posted a pic of mine on page 3 of the blink blink topic. Installation was pretty simple, I'm sorry I can't remember what socket size to use. If you have any basic socket kit, you'll have the proper size for the job. A couple things to keep in mind about these lights, 1. they are not D.O.T. and 2. the rear fog light does not work with them installed. Besides that, they look so much better then the old stock lights.
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
correct me if I'm wrong. But don't the brake lights still use the same incandescent bulb?
Jeph, the LEDs are also the brake lights. The incandescents are for the back up and turn signals. Look at the 4th pic in post #32 of the blink blink... thread and you'll see.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Jeph, the LEDs are also the brake lights. The incandescents are for the back up and turn signals. Look at the 4th pic in post #32 of the blink blink... thread and you'll see.
So what's that circular gap between the LEDs for?

I noticed that photo... however I assumed those were just parking lights because the center brake light isn't illuminated. (And unless a brick is being used or something, I didn't see anyone behind the wheel pressing the brake pedal.)

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #12

Jeph, your right about the pic, sorry. That pic only shows parking lights, however the brake lights are the LEDs and LEDs light up nice and bright when the brakes are applied. That circular section between the LEDs is just a reflector.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #13

I've been considering LED upgrades too. I've always wondered what the circular section between the led's was on these light. There's another pair of LED tail's for sale on e-bay without he refectors but they're like $450 a set.
anyone know what the difference is?...or what's the best set to buy?
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #14

Thumbs up I got these

available from

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-04-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-RED-SMOKE-LED-TAIL-LIGHTS-02-03_W0QQitemZ280187800209QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33716QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I did not get them from this vendor, but these are the same lights.

I've been very happy with these.
01 Speed Yellow Boxster S
- Tip
- PSE
- C4S Cluster with new style OBC
- 18" with 7mm rear spacers
- Litronics
- Fully de-ambered
- LED taillights
- Aluminium Pedals
- Integrated Garage Door Opener
- 986 emblem
- Yellow brake calipers with Brembo stickers
- Yellow center console
- Aerokit II wing & trunklid
- Eibach Pro springs
In memoriam: Black 935 Street

Last edited by LowFlyR; 12-28-2007 at 07:06 PM.
LowFlyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #15

finally got the LED tail lights installed. Looks so nice, definitely a good upgrade. looks weird because the tail lights are so new and shiny, and the rest of my boxster is so dirty (been snowing here for the last few days)

gotta find a time to take some pics and show you all
maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
Old 01-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #16

here's some pics of the new LED tail lights on my boxster S. I really like them. what you guys think? makes the 6 yr old boxster seem so much newer

maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs

Last edited by mchi5; 01-06-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #17

Show me pix of parking lights on, and brake lights on... in the daylight.

And are the reverse bulbs silver too?

Old 01-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Show me pix of parking lights on, and brake lights on... in the daylight.

And are the reverse bulbs silver too?
ok, i'll try to take some new pics soon. been raining like crazy today.

but yea the reverse bulbs are silver too. the turn signals are still yellow when they are on.
maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
Old 01-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #19

Smile

i like 'em.
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #20

Quote:
So what's that circular gap between the LEDs for?

I noticed that photo... however I assumed those were just parking lights because the center brake light isn't illuminated. (And unless a brick is being used or something, I didn't see anyone behind the wheel pressing the brake pedal.)

My understanding of the law here in California is that the tail lights have to have a red reflector that can be seen at night. Clear LED tail lights are then legal as long as they have a red reflector. So new cars put red reflectors right in the bumper, but on the Boxster it's only in the tail light. I'm guessing (I haven't seen the LED lights first hand) that the center red section in the photos is just a red reflector to meet code since the red LEDs don't actually function as a reflector. This kind of stands out in the photos of the completely clear LED tail lights. They're all clear except for this red reflector...

Kirk

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote