Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
I was just saying it didn't seem like much BANG FOR THE BUCK. $900. for 18hp!
yeah, i hear you. it's a lot of money. but think about it for minute:

ECU tune - $900 / 18 HP = $50 / HP
Headers - $1500 / 25 HP = $60 / HP
Turbo - $8000 / 75 HP = $106 / HP

i know the headers and turbo numbers might vary a bit, but i still think the ECU tune is in the ballpark. the real bummer is that NA cars can't gain nearly as much from ECU tune as turbos.

texwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #22

[QUOTE=porsche986spyder]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Right, the link you gave is for the Upsolute remap, which I think is really the only comparable, lower cost option out there, which I mentioned in my first post.

I was just saying it didn't seem like much BANG FOR THE BUCK. $900. for 18hp! I knew there were others out there cheaper. Upsolute you mentioned is cheaper by $200.00 over the Softech option. Softech doesn't sound very easy to install with all of the warnings it mentions while doing the install yourself while plugged in on-line!!? By the way, Unichip, like I said only makes a System that works with the "S" type which is the 3.2Ltr. Not the 2.7Ltr. So I'm not sure where that chart you posted came from. They use a biggy-back type of system the plugs into the O.B.D. and allows you to turn it on or off when needed. That was what I liked about it. Not sure about what they used to sell for your WRX. Maybe they have changed since then. Other than that, the cost was worth the HP & TRQ. But like I said, unless you have a 3.2 it does matter anyway.

Dude, I agree with you completely. It doesn't seem like much bang for the buck to me either! Especially since I think that 18 HP is overly optimistic. The dyno chart I posted claimed a 21.7 HP gain. But that's like only at the very extreme. For most of the curve you've only got a 2-3 HP gain!

Personally I'd save my money on intakes, exhausts, headers, and chips and look more at a motor swap. I've got a 3.2L, I'm pretty handy, and I know someone who can remap the ECU for me. Thus I'd be more inclined to get a good, used 3.4L engine, install it myself, gain an honest, usable 50 HP and call it good for about $5K. Again, not a huge amount of bang for the buck, but I think a better deal than trying to squeeze the last bit of life out of an already well tuned engine.

As for the curve I posted, it was from the Unichip website. You may be mistaken about them only making a chip program for the 3.2L.

http://www.unichip.us/search_results.asp?dhtmlgoodies_year=2000&dhtmlgoodies_make=Porsche&dhtmlgoodies_model=453054452

Click on the 2.7L CAI link at the bottom to get the dyno chart. It's a 2.7L Boxster with S-Car-Go cold air intake and Unichip. But that's a 2000 2.7L with I believe the 7.8 DME. Maybe they don't support the earlier DME version, which is what you've got if you have a '97 - '99 Boxster, non-egas.

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote