Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Custom Xenon Conversion

Just got done installing my new xenon kit. Must say,this turned out A LOT better than I expected for the $$$. It's a 350Z ballast/igniter with Phillips bulbs. Fit's pretty damn good,straight swap. On the road,I can see more and to be honest the only difference between Litronics and this xenon kit that I can see(while driving) is that the projector concentrates the light on the road better. Other than that I'm not complaining for $130 with 3 spare bulbs. The ballast is mounted exactly how the Litronics ballast is,no drilling or zip ties needed. These will hold me off until I can get some Litronics.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:41 AM   #2

Blink, just be careful to aim the lamps properly. I did a similar conversion on one of my BMWs and people were always flashing me until I had aimed the lamps right. Also keep an eye on the lens. Those nissan bulbs may be a tad hot to operate in the housings. Otherwise, nicely done!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Robert post a pic of the light on the road or of the headlight head on when the low beam lit.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That's interesting, and sounds like a great idea if it doesn't burn the headlight lenses. Maybe you could post a DIY.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
Blink, just be careful to aim the lamps properly. I did a similar conversion on one of my BMWs and people were always flashing me until I had aimed the lamps right. Also keep an eye on the lens. Those nissan bulbs may be a tad hot to operate in the housings. Otherwise, nicely done!
I hope they don't run hot. The bulbs are 35w compared to the 55w halogens that were in there.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
That's interesting, and sounds like a great idea if it doesn't burn the headlight lenses. Maybe you could post a DIY.
I actually bought them from a guy on Renntech. It's pretty simple though. He just took a ballast from a 350z,cut out of whole in the back panel that worked out perfectly for mounting the ballast to.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I hope they don't run hot. The bulbs are 35w compared to the 55w halogens that were in there.
Exactly.

Xenon bulbs do not dissipate as much heat as Halogen. This isn't like putting in a higher power bulb. If the plastics can handle a Halogen, they can handle a Xenon. I wouldn't worry.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
So essentially this is nice alternative to buying liptronics, because they run cooler, and offer the same brightness.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
So essentially this is nice alternative to buying liptronics, because they run cooler, and offer the same brightness.
The light pattern isn't as well focused as the factory lights, and it's probably more annoying to oncoming traffic, but it's definitely cheaper.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yeah this works, but litronics arent all that anyways, except for no orange.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
yeah this works, but litronics arent all that anyways, except for no orange.

I have to disagree. The Litronics output is excellent. Peripheral lighting is far superior to the halogen units, and the immediate frontal illumination is improved. There is no comparison on highbeam. When I'm driving at triple digit speeds on the lonely interstate, it's nice to be able to see the critters lurking 100ft from the shoulders of the roadway!
The (approx) 140 degrees of even illumination is one of the best attributes of the projector that Porsche spec'd for the Bosch Litronics. The highbeam concept of raising the lowbeam 5-10 degrees and supplementing the upper portion of the beam with halogen is a little over-engineered, but works suprisingly well. My only complaint is why they put a glare shield over the highbeam supplement halogen bulb that prevents the use of about 35% of the highbeam reflector.

Agreed that they are overpriced, but what else is new with Porsche?

I've done many HID swaps, including swapping projectors and lamps into many different housings for both motorcycles and autos. While some swaps are better than others, when it comes to beam pattern and illumination, and not just how cool the HID blueish light appears, HID projectors are best. In other words, if you want to SEE the difference of HID, you have to use components designed for them.

At the end of the day, if you can see better, you're not blinding oncoming traffic, and saved $1000, and you're happy, that's all that matters! Enjoy!
~M
michael_dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #12

...oh yeah, I am working on putting bi-xenon projectors from a MB SL500 into the Litronics for even better highbeams.
~M

michael_dba is offline   Reply With Quote