View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #11
michael_dba

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
yeah this works, but litronics arent all that anyways, except for no orange.

I have to disagree. The Litronics output is excellent. Peripheral lighting is far superior to the halogen units, and the immediate frontal illumination is improved. There is no comparison on highbeam. When I'm driving at triple digit speeds on the lonely interstate, it's nice to be able to see the critters lurking 100ft from the shoulders of the roadway!
The (approx) 140 degrees of even illumination is one of the best attributes of the projector that Porsche spec'd for the Bosch Litronics. The highbeam concept of raising the lowbeam 5-10 degrees and supplementing the upper portion of the beam with halogen is a little over-engineered, but works suprisingly well. My only complaint is why they put a glare shield over the highbeam supplement halogen bulb that prevents the use of about 35% of the highbeam reflector.

Agreed that they are overpriced, but what else is new with Porsche?

I've done many HID swaps, including swapping projectors and lamps into many different housings for both motorcycles and autos. While some swaps are better than others, when it comes to beam pattern and illumination, and not just how cool the HID blueish light appears, HID projectors are best. In other words, if you want to SEE the difference of HID, you have to use components designed for them.

At the end of the day, if you can see better, you're not blinding oncoming traffic, and saved $1000, and you're happy, that's all that matters! Enjoy!
~M
michael_dba is offline   Reply With Quote