Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #1

Making 6-speed shifter stalk shorter?

Hey guys, this is my first post but have been on this forum for a few months. bought my 2001 boxster S 5 months ago and love it. I'm about to install the short shifter kit on my 6-speed next week, but got a question

i hate how tall the shifter stalk is on the porsche. even with the short shifter kit, it will still be the same height.

is there anyways to make the actual shifter stalk shorter? if it requires buying a whole new shifter, i'd be willing to do that. anyone has any suggestions?

I love how short the shifter is on the s2000, 350z, and my wife's 08 eclipse GT V6 manual.

thanks

mchi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #2

The simple thing to do would buy the shift housing for a 2004 special edition, as the shift lever is about 1" shorter. If I remember correctly Porsche claimed a 15% reduction in the shift throws.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
The simple thing to do would buy the shift housing for a 2004 special edition, as the shift lever is about 1" shorter. If I remember correctly Porsche claimed a 15% reduction in the shift throws.
Jeff do you have any part #s? Any idea what it cost?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #4

thanks for the reply, and that's a good idea. found a pic of what the 2004 special ed. shifter looks like. you may be correct, the shifter does look shorter (and looks much better than my 2001)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0407_2004_porsche_911_boxster_s/photo_02.html

wonder where i can find one, and/or how much it'll cost...
Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #5

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1418&hl=special

You can buy it from the dealer. Or, you can cut about 1" off your existing lever.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8243&hl=550
Old 12-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #6

The only problem with cutting your existing shifter down is that the short shift kit you plan to install requires more force to change gears. That extra inch provides more leverage.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ TP,

How did the 550 shifting feel compared the the B & M ssk on the 6-spd tranny? I didn't like the Top Speed(ebay) Short Shift Kit I installed on my S,way too notchy IMHO. Would the 550 style throw be a good medium between stock and B & M?

Thanks for the links.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:16 AM   #8

so it's not a good idea to cut the original shifter like one inch to make it shorter? the guy who's installing the installer for me (along with some other stuff) said he can do it. so if i'd made it like 1" shorter with the new short shifter, it'd be too stiff?
Old 12-14-2007, 06:18 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
@ TP,

How did the 550 shifting feel compared the the B & M ssk on the 6-spd tranny? I didn't like the Top Speed(ebay) Short Shift Kit I installed on my S,way too notchy IMHO. Would the 550 style throw be a good medium between stock and B & M?

Thanks for the links.
If you were unhappy with the B&M, you might try this instead:

http://rpmware.com/evolution-motorsports/evolution-motorsports-swift-shift-kit/g-52965.aspx
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 AM   #10

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13834&hl=special

That is the Evo swift shift. A small extension is added to the bottom of the factory shift lever. In the old days you only got the extension part. The replacement bushings, made of metal, was an option that you had to pay extra for. Now the swift shift comes with the metal bushings.

We use to put the Evo units in, in the old days. It then seemed to fall out of favor to the B&M short shift. The reduction in throw is not as much as a B&M. Since this is an extension on the bottom of the shift lever if you do not like the reduction you can simply remove the extension and you are back to stock.

Since this is an extension it does not change the height of the shift lever, as the shift lever remains as it was.