Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #1

'00 Boxster wont start

I searched the threads but no solution. When I turn the key, I hear a rapid number of clicks, but the engine doesn't turn over (doesn't crank). All dash lights light up. Car started fine last night. Tiptronic, so no clutch pedal.

Am I just an idiot and is my battery dead?

vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
bmussatti

Idiot? No!

Battery? Could be.

Might be your ignition switch.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #3

Very good chance it's the battery. Happened to mine just a few weeks ago. Try to jump start it.
stjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:25 AM   #4

Thanks. I jumped started it last night and it roared back to life. It started right up this AM and I let it run for a few minutes turned it off but it failed to start again 30 minutes later. I hope that the combination of the cold weather and short run time was the cause of low battery charge.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #5

To properly charge a car battery, one must drive that car on the freeway for quite some time... well over a couple of hours.

If your battery is just drained because of lack of use, then you need to buy a trickle charger.

However, if it won't hold a charge, it's time for a replacement.

Do a thread search here for battery replacement comments... Porsche batteries are rather expensive and not that high-quality. The owner of the site swears by a brand sold at Sam's or Costco, believe it or not.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:52 AM   #6

porsche battery= crap
dont get a porsche batt,
porsche804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #7

thread hijack sorry

My car is doing the same thing. series of clicks when I try to start. starter does not turn over. I have tested my battery and it is good and it is charged up.
2001 S

Door gong works when key is in and the door is open. Ignition switch was replaced 4 years ago.
Judd 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #8

got it!

Row E slot 1 FUSE! I was reading through the list of fuses and this on covers the Security, as well as the RADIO! I must have blown the fuse when I was tapping into the power. I replaced the 7.5a fuse and the car fired right up.

Thanks for all the help. I am going to put the radio back in my car now......
such a dumbass, one fuse kept me from driving in yesterdays 60 deg weather.
Judd 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:07 PM   #9

Mine turned out to be the battery (I did not get a Porsche battery to replace it). I did have the battery replaced at the shop (independent) since I did not have radio code and didn't want the hassle. Turns out the shop couldn't get the codes to take and tried to give me back my car without a working radio, they offered to only charge me for the battery and not the labor!

Well they kept if for another day (gave me a rental) after I "protested". They got got the codes to take but told me that the 2 nearby Porsche dealerships wouldn't help them out with codes and thus the delay. I guess the $100 for labor was worth it. But I have the radio code now.