Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #1

schnell alum shift linkage replacement

I did some digging. According to **************************************** the cable should slide into the linkage adapter. I suspect a quality issue with the steel adapter since I can see roughly cut edges on the mouth and allen-keyed holes. They are sending me a replacement part. Hopefully the replacement will accomodate the OEM linkage.

Has anyone installed the Schnell factory plastic linkage replacement (the$89 part)? I bought it and it looks like you have to cut the threaded portion of the linkage cable to make it work. I'm not crazy about doing that. Any thoughts?

Last edited by jbox53; 11-27-2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: more information
jbox53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #2

If I recall correctly, there are three hex-head threaded screws with pointed end on the inside. I tightened these into the threads at end of the linkage cable. It has to clasp the cable in such a way as to push and pull. Do not cut the threaded end of the cable off. I originally thought this was kind a poor setup because if any of the screws loosened up the linkage cable would slide right out. That never happened so just be sure to tighten them well.
Good luck
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #3

Ok, I finally got a replacement adapter from ****************************************. I had to take out all of the threaded screws for the threaded part of the OEM shifter cable to fit. I also took a machined bolt with a slightly smaller diameter and "reamed" out the inside to get rid of the burrs. Who would think that the hole was so closely machined to leave no tolerance. Anyway it's installed. Does it improve the performance, no. I guess only enhances the reliability of the linkage. Anyway, I hope my dealings will educate the readers.

I will thanks. Hopefully I can get to that point when they send me another piece. The unit now will not accept the threaded part of the cable. I may have a part that is just a bit too tight in tolerance. I had the same type of clearance problem with one of the nylon(?) bushings that came with the shift kit. I had to replace one of the washers with a thinner one in order to get the snap ring to close correctly down on the bushing. Overall I'm basically happy with the results.

Last edited by jbox53; 12-02-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: final information
jbox53 is offline   Reply With Quote