Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
HB.

Looking for a rear strut bar

Hello,

I've already installed the front strut bar last week, and I'm now looking to purchase a mid-rear bar. I've read most of the pros and cons, and have decided what the heck, if it can cut down on some of my rear rattle some what like how the front cut down on most of the rattle coming from the front, it will be well worth it. I can locate the schnell rear bar, but have read all the PITA installs. MNBoxster said he ordered the Racing Dynamics bar from www.tweeks.com but when I contacted them today, they said they do not sell Porsche products any longer. Does anyone know where I can find the rear Racing Dynamics strut bar from? Or, does anyone have a good experience with another product, and where they purchased it from?

Thanks in advance

HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:59 AM   #2

I have the rear brace from Schnell and it went right in. Took no longer than the front. Maybe I just lucked out but it wasn't difficult. My only beef was the rear brace gets in the way of clips that hold the back of the top curtain. You can bend them a little but was an unexpected wrinkle.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
bmussatti

HB, here you go:

http://www.********************************************************************.com/product_p/rd-996.99.00.010.htm
Old 11-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
HB.

Thank you Steve for sharing your experience. I might have to go with the schnell bar...

bmussatti, the bar shown in the link you provided is for the front, which I already have. I'll try to contact them to see if they have a rear bar.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #5

HB, there's been some discussion here on the forum about how the top strut bar for the back does little for the handling. However, guys are making (or buying) very inexpensive ones for the lower part and it makes the car stick to the road like glue.

When I decide to do suspension mods, I will certainly do this:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10817&page=1&pp=20
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #6

Run around.

Hi HB:

I've been looking the past few weeks for both front and rear tower strut bars by Racing Dynamic per MNBoxster's recommendation on another thread. You have to be careful where you order from as there is a Trademark dispute with the company Racing Dynamic. The original company is based in Italy but when they brought the product here there was already a different company with the same name Racing Dynamic.

Long story short: other companies are selling "knock offs" with the same name Racing Dynamic. After many telephone conversations I was told the only authentic Racing Dynamic tower strut bars are sold out of Southern California by a company named Racing Dynamics # 1-866-862-8973. I have tried to order but getting someone to pick up is an exercise in futility. Hopefully you have better luck than I.

Custom pioneer system
Full window tint
RennTech black aluminum floor mats
Clear front wheel well lenses
SCCA member
boxster or briefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
HB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster or briefs
Hi HB:

I've been looking the past few weeks for both front and rear tower strut bars by Racing Dynamic per MNBoxster's recommendation on another thread. You have to be careful where you order from as there is a Trademark dispute with the company Racing Dynamic. The original company is based in Italy but when they brought the product here there was already a different company with the same name Racing Dynamic.

Long story short: other companies are selling "knock offs" with the same name Racing Dynamic. After many telephone conversations I was told the only authentic Racing Dynamic tower strut bars are sold out of Southern California by a company named Racing Dynamics # 1-866-862-8973. I have tried to order but getting someone to pick up is an exercise in futility. Hopefully you have better luck than I.

Thank you for your information. I think come Saturday, I will order the Schnell bar since it has been difficult to order the racing dynamics bar.

Randall, yes I actually still have another FireFox window open about that topic that insite posted. I believe I even posted in that topic so I would remember it. That will be my next mod after the upper rear bar.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
HB.

Well, I got the rear strut bar today, but there wasn't any instructions on how to install it. I tried doing a search to see how you install the bar, and I did see a couple posts where people took pictures of it in place, but I still don't understand how to properly install the bar. Do you just open the top about half way, and what do you do with the black half moon shaped parts? Any detailed instructions would be really helpful.

Thank you

edit: Ok, I believe I see how the black half moon shaped links go, but how do you get them to fit? Do you have to remove the padding in order for it to fit correctly?

Last edited by HB.; 11-28-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 AM   #9
HB.

I was able to install the bar a couple days ago, but didn't have time to post some pics, so here they are. Just a heads up for anyone who does have a '97 model, the mounting brackets will not clear all 3 studs, and you will have grind some of the metal away for the middle hole to clear that middle screw. After I installed the bar, I checked ****************************************'s website and it does say some minor drilling needs to be done only with the '97 model. Besides that, the rest of the install was not hard.

As for driving impressions, I can tell there is a difference. I installed the front bar a couple weeks ago, and noticed the front would turn a lot sharper, but on some high speed turns, the back didn't feel synced with the front. It was still a great improvement. Now that I have the upper rear installed, taking the same turns at the same speed, the car feels like it's all one unit again, but able to take the turns with more confidence. You don't get a "wow" difference, but I can tell car feels stiffer around some corners.

Here are just a few pics from the install

You only have to unscrew that one plastic screw, then pull back the insulation. There is some more padded insulation underneath that you will need to adjust.

Once you move the padded area, you'll have access to the strut studs.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #10
bmussatti

Good write-up, HB.

I'd like to get one for the rear of my car, but have been unable to find one for the 987. I have the Racing Dynamics on the front already.

This is still a hotly debated mod. Glad you like it, and see the improvement.