Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #1

Sport Exhaust option - should I?

Hello all. I am ordering a 2008 Boxster S and debating the sport exhaust option - worth the $2k+ cost? I know there must be numerous aftermarket solutions to getting a more aggressive exhaust note but if the cost comes close to the option then I might be better off getting it. My dealer does not have one on the lot with it so I cannot hear for myself how much it changes the sound.

Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Well if its a purchase and not a lease, I'd get it, cause that adds value to the car, the more options, the better.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
bmussatti

Y E S !!!!!

I tried ordering my 987S with this option, but it was not available in 2006. I have since added it this Spring through the Tequipment option. It was a little bit more expensive, and could have been a lot more expensive, but I got a great deal on the PSE from Sunset Porsche and my local dealership gave me a fair price for installation.

Main resaons to select the PSE vs aftermarket:

1) No resonance issues
2) Warranty
3) Looks completely stock (for example the FabSpeed product hangs below the rear bumper)
4) Sounds great, not crazy loud
5) No CEL issues
6) Sounds great from the driver seat, but other cars behind me say it sounds awesome!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
bmussatti

Bob, for example I would personally forgo certain options just to spare-up money to afford the PSE (if money is a concern). 2-3 common options come to mind that are not necessary, IMHO. They would be, Climate Controll (>$500) and Power Seats (>$750?) and Rain Sensing & Self Dimming Mirrors (>$500?).

Obviousley this can be greatly debated. Just my opinion.

Congrats on the new car order!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I am getting a pretty good discount on an order and was thinking about getting a Boxster S in Red (not sure if I want Black or Tan interior, same for the top), 18" Cayman wheels and floor mats, that's it - unless I get the PSE. While the Bose would be nice I doubt it is worth it and most of the options do nothing for me. However, I like a nice sound thus the reason for considering the PSE.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Here is what it sounds like....

I think you can't go wrong with the factory PSE. Great sound, and no resonance. Go for it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mRT98rdEU2M

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #7

One final question - I may get a regular Boxster vice the S model - what kind of sound difference would the PSE do for that one? I assume that the stock exhaust on the regular Boxster and S sound different so each with the PSE probably sound different as well. But I wonder if the PSE on the regular model would be worth the coin.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
One final question - I may get a regular Boxster vice the S model - what kind of sound difference would the PSE do for that one? I assume that the stock exhaust on the regular Boxster and S sound different so each with the PSE probably sound different as well. But I wonder if the PSE on the regular model would be worth the coin.
The sound will be the virtually the same.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #9

I've ridden and driven a friend's 987 with the PSE and it's got a wonderful throaty sound that's deep and has minimal resonance (like none compared to my aftermarket dual chamber muffler from Che).

I will most certainly insure my next Pcar has it on there when I buy it or very shortly thereafter.

Trying to get that sound without resonance or cabin "howl" with aftermarket equipment is nearly impossible IMO.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #10

I also see that I can get chrome exhaust tips with the PSE option - what do the stock tips with the PSE look like/made out of? $325 for chrome tips seems high albeit most of the options are pretty pricy.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I also see that I can get chrome exhaust tips with the PSE option - what do the stock tips with the PSE look like/made out of? $325 for chrome tips seems high albeit most of the options are pretty pricy.
The 987S exhaust tip is the same on both the stock exhaust and the PSE. The chrome tip is very nice and worth the money IMHO!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:57 AM   #12
bmussatti

Here is the Chrome Tip (option code #XLA):
Old 10-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #13

As much as no one wants to pay for it, I think the factory PSE is the only way to get a throaty sound out of these cars without dealing with resonance issues.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:56 PM   #14

On the other side of the coin: I may be remembering this wrong, but isn't the PSE heavier than the stock one? (And if so, why would that be??)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:43 AM   #15
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
On the other side of the coin: I may be remembering this wrong, but isn't the PSE heavier than the stock one? (And if so, why would that be??)
They are only slightly more weight...< a couple pounds...due mainly to the vacuum valves and a little piping. But, yes a lot more maybe compared to a FabSpeed or other aftermarket.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:48 AM   #16
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
As much as no one wants to pay for it, I think the factory PSE is the only way to get a throaty sound out of these cars without dealing with resonance issues.

Patrick

Patrick, I agree with this 110%. The factory option is "only" $2,100. Not a bad price considering the build quality, warranty, fit & finish, no CEL, no resonance and a great sound!