Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #1

Muffler swap

I bought an aftermarket exhaust and plan on doing the install myself. Does anyone have any tips or hints they can offer before I jump into this project? Is it worth it to just pay someone to do it? I can't imagine it costing too much. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

D.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #2

Couple hints...
1) Buy the boxster Bentley manual
2) Don't try to do it with the bumper on

It is very easy once the bumper is off. I tried twice with it on and spent more time busting knuckles than anything else. A shop would be intimidated by the swap unless it has done a boxster.

I wouldn't pay for it. It's an easy DIY and you learn a lot about the car when you do it yourself.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #3

There was a crossover point at which Porsche changed the mounting. On all "S" cars and 2000 and later non-S cars, it's easiest with the bumper on. For 1997-1999 cars, it's basically impossible to do with the bumper on.

I drop the exhaust fairly frequently for competition, and I have never once removed the bumper on my 2000 S. Piece of cake. Do not attempt on the earlier cars!
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. So, are you suggesting that it's worth having a shop do the swap for a nominal fee? Any other opinions out there in the 986 world want to chime in... please...
Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #5

I did it recently on my 99, first with the bumper on then i did it the right way with the bumpber off. It is very easy. Would i have paid $100 for a shop to do it? Probably.
Chris_Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L.
Thanks for the reply. So, are you suggesting that it's worth having a shop do the swap for a nominal fee? Any other opinions out there in the 986 world want to chime in... please...
I would never pay for it. It's easy, doesn't take much time (especially if you have one of the later cars where you don't remove the bumper) and don't risk some goon at a shop screwing your car up.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #7

Question

Okay.... so the stebro exhaust I ordered is coming in Monday. I have an earlier 98 boxster, so other than removing the bumper during the install, are there ANY other tips you guys can give me. I'm a little nervous to be honest.

I think the bumper removal will be okay, but there's not much information on removing the stock exhaust and installing the stebro. I tried looking for hours on this forum and renntech and there's plenty on how to take the bumper off, but not so much on actually removing the exhaust How many bolts are there for the exhaust, are some bolts hidden, is there a sequence in which bolts to take off first, do I need jack stands or a lift, do I need a second set of hands to help, etc.

PLEASE HELP before I take this on.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:48 AM   #8

The band clamps which fasten the muffler's u-tubes to the cats can get pretty rusty. I don't know if you re-use these with the stebro, but you might want to hit the bolts with some penetrating oil before tackling it.

I ended up trashing the stock bolts and using some quality stainless off-the-shelf hardware to replace them.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:35 AM   #9

I ended up trashing the stock bolts and using some quality stainless off-the-shelf hardware to replace them.

You can count on replacing these for sure. Mine were rusted so badly they all just broke off. It is super easy to do.

do I need jack stands or a lift

Anytime you get under a car you should have it on jackstands. NEVER get under a car without jackstands being firmly in place. Get a small floor jack and a good set of jackstands.

do I need a second set of hands to help, etc.

The stock muffler is pretty heft at 40+ lbs. It surprised me when I dropped it how heavy it was compared to the replacement. You should be fine on your own but it never hurts to have a spare set of hands.

If you are the least bit handy with a wrench you can do this. I would never pay anyone to do it.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:35 AM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I persnally wouldn't pay, why waste the cash and give up a good weekend project. Boxsters are easy to work on.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #11

Thank you for the information and the encouragement. Based on the photos of the Stebro, the u-tubes are used and remain attached to the cat. But, I was told that it's easier to remove the entire stock exhaust at the point where it attaches at the double wide bands. Is that true, or am I getting bad info.? I wasn't planning on jacking the car up, but it sounds like I might have too. Is it possible to do the exhaust swap with the car on the ground? You guys have a lot of info and experience, this is good...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #12

I usually use ramps, though in a pinch I've done it basically on the ground. Not a lot of room to maneuver like that.

Unbolt the band clamps where they attach to the u-pipes and the cat outlets, and slide them inward towards the cats. Then unbolt the muffler and it basically drops down. Piece of cake.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L.
Okay.... so the stebro exhaust I ordered is coming in Monday. I have an earlier 98 boxster, so other than removing the bumper during the install, are there ANY other tips you guys can give me. I'm a little nervous to be honest.

I think the bumper removal will be okay, but there's not much information on removing the stock exhaust and installing the stebro. I tried looking for hours on this forum and renntech and there's plenty on how to take the bumper off, but not so much on actually removing the exhaust How many bolts are there for the exhaust, are some bolts hidden, is there a sequence in which bolts to take off first, do I need jack stands or a lift, do I need a second set of hands to help, etc.

PLEASE HELP before I take this on.
I would go to the dealer prior and get a new set of the plastic screws/ tabs (3 of them) that hold the wing on. Most likely you will break these when you take it off in order to get to the bolts for the bumper cover. Otherwise, by taking the bumper cover off you are guarantee yourself to save some time and will not have to wish you were plastic man to get to the top bolts located on the top bracket. Also if no one his helping you, you may want to have a floor jack to support the exhaust as you line up the bolts and u joints on the installation also good to put it under the stock muffler as you remove it so that it does not fall on you. It's not a tough job, I have done it twice, once on my car and a 99. I also did a "euro bumper" hack while I had the bumper off by removing my rear bumperettes.
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:32 AM   #14

>I would go to the dealer prior and get a new set of the plastic screws/ tabs (3 of them) that hold the wing on.

I've taken my rear bumper off a couple times and I didn't want to replace these plastic tabs each time. I ended up just tapping the thin sheet metal holes in the rear spoiler and using some nice, aluminum allen head bolts to hold the top of the spoiler in place. Personally I think it looks better and now it's easier to remove the spoiler. Although there's not much purchase for the bolts, it's enough for the application. Just a thought.

>I also did a "euro bumper" hack while I had the bumper off by removing my rear bumperettes.

Very nice man! Looks awesome and a nice, cheap mod. What kind of material did you use to cover the holes left from the bumperettes?
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #15
EE3racing

If you can get under the car comfortably there is no reason to take the rear bumper off to change mufflers. My tip for you is this: The clamps are splined, taking off the nut will not automatically open the clamp, they need to be gently pryed open and they can be reused, The top hanger is a bit of a bugger but I did mine on a lift, piece of cake that way.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusmnimij
If you can get under the car comfortably there is no reason to take the rear bumper off to change mufflers. My tip for you is this: The clamps are splined, taking off the nut will not automatically open the clamp, they need to be gently pryed open and they can be reused, The top hanger is a bit of a bugger but I did mine on a lift, piece of cake that way.
You don't have to take it off it just make accessing the 2 bolts located at the very top of the hanger easier to reach and remove
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #17

I can't believe you guys replace those plastic spoiler clips. No matter the cost, you can reuse the old ones. Just take a punch and hammer and tap out the inner piece. You'll hear it drop but, once the black part off the spoiler, shake it around and all 3 pins will fall out. Then you just put the plastic clip back in and tap the pin in the center.

I just put the Stebro Race exhaust on my car this week. Removing the bumper was no problem at all, I do it on a daily basis though. The toughest part was removing the rusted bolts holding the u-pipes on. All and all, said and done was about 7 hours. It's the first time I've done anything like this so, I don't think that's too long. Would I have paid a shop to do it...NO, I would've missed out on the satisfaction I got on my first drive.

Oh btw, the Race exhaust is LOUD with alot of resonance. If that bothers you, steer clear...I LOVE it though.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote