Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #1

Question 1st to 2nd gear thud???

Can someone tell me what may be the cause of the loud thud from the engine compartment when I shifted from 1st to 2nd? It was a quick shift so I'm not sure if the clutch was fully engaged before accelerating. I shifted from high revs into 2nd and hit the gas, and a loud thud was heard and felt right before I got going. I tried to recreate it while coasting and hitting the gas on 2nd to no avail.
Anyone????

Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust

Last edited by JaysPcar; 10-14-2007 at 09:26 PM.
JaysPcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Was it your shift lever,sometimes those SSKs sound like they are hitting a wall when you shift fast.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Was it your shift lever,sometimes those SSKs sound like they are hitting a wall when you shift fast.
No, it felt and sounded like the whole engine hit a wall! Definitely not the shifter. Is it my tranny? Engine mounts? There was no grinding and the car took off like a rocket with no problem aside from that. Where should I look first for possible cause?
I just don't think that was normal. If I remember right, I rolled a bit on 1st, then hit the gas to about 5k, and slid it into 2nd and hit the gas when it made that sound. As if my engine was loose behind me.
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust

Last edited by JaysPcar; 10-14-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
Sounds like the motor is going to jump through into the passenger's seat? My vote is for the motor mount. My car did this, I repaired the motor mount, everything feels and sounds nice and solid now.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #5

Do you smell any burning rubber-like smell? If so, it could be an early sign that your clutch is going.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
Sounds like the motor is going to jump through into the passenger's seat? My vote is for the motor mount. My car did this, I repaired the motor mount, everything feels and sounds nice and solid now.
Heh heh, actually, it felt like the front half of the car was gonna take off, and the rear half ending up on somebody else's front end.

But like I told blinkwatt, at least I smoked the 330I!!! :dance: His passenger/girlfriend did not look very thrilled after eating my dust.

Is there a DIY for the engine mount? I still haven't bought the service manual, probably order it tomorrow. Will the service manual guide me through inspection and replacement?

Thanks,
JV
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust

Last edited by JaysPcar; 10-15-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Do you smell any burning rubber-like smell? If so, it could be an early sign that your clutch is going.
Now that you mention it, I do get a a faint smell of burnt rubber after a drive. But there has been no sign of slipping! Although, I have to be on the top half of the clutch pedal before it begins to engage.

What other indication should I look for?

And if it is the clutch, any recommendations for the new clutch?

Is it typical for a clutch job at 42k miles?

Thanks,
JV
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust

Last edited by JaysPcar; 10-15-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #8

Technolab Engine Mount

Took the front engine cover off and could barely see the engine mount, but it was just enough to tell that the rubber's shot! Now, does anyone have experience with Pedro's Remanufactured Engine Mount? Per site, supposed to be better than OEM. Any recommendations?

And what is the best method to get those two upper bolts off on the engine mount? It's real cramped in there.
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust
Old 10-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #9

But there has been no sign of slipping!

That's what I thought as well about my Boxster. I couldn't get the clutch to slip for the life of me when I was giving it gas. For some reason it was only slipping when I was was trying to engage a gear after shifting.

Although, I have to be on the top half of the clutch pedal before it begins to engage.

That's EXACTLY what mine did,the bottom 1/2 of the clutch pedal was stiff.

And if it is the clutch, any recommendations for the new clutch?

www.************************************************************ $365ish shipped. You may want to order the clutch pilot bearing as well. No tax,free shipping & great service,you can't really beat ********************************az when they have what your looking for.

Is it typical for a clutch job at 42k miles?

That all depends. I've seen clutches go for no reason at all on P-Cars. Some dude on ppbb has over 120k+ on his 1st clutch,I don't know what year 986 though. My 99' had went through it's first clutch at 25k. My 01' S got 51k out it's 1st clutch and then signs of wear started to show........it all depends.

If your going to have them do the clutch ask them how much more labor wise they want to install a new flywheel. They have been known to go bad on Boxsters as well. It's one of those 'while your in there' things. It's worth checking,my shop is only charging me .8 hours extra labor wise to install a fresh flywheel. Flywheels can go anywhere from $570 from ********************************az to $1.2k at the dealer......for same thing.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 10-20-2007 at 10:13 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #10

I still don't think that the clutch has anything to do with your gear shifting thud. Are you sure you had your foot down on the clutch all the way when you shifted gears?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I still don't think that the clutch has anything to do with your gear shifting thud. Are you sure you had your foot down on the clutch all the way when you shifted gears?
blinkwatt,

I've confirmed that noise came from the front engine mount. Any recommendations on the install and part?

My clutch may be going also but I will deal with that later. However, the clutch is not stiff on the bottom pedal travel.

BTW, congrats on your new ride, very nice!

JV

Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust